Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Keyboard not working after installing El Capitan

After installing El Capitan (on mid-2010 iMac) my USB Keyboard (Ducky, not Apple) isn't working anymore.

• It's not recognized/shown in USB in System Report
  • It still works on my Macbook with Yosemite
  • Other USB keyboard still works
  • Switching USB ports doesn't work
  • Resetting PRAM/SMC didn't work
  • I don't have any third party kernel extensions

Please let me know if you have a suggestion,

Thanks,

Hans

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 6:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 11:25 AM

I had the same problem. Connecting the keyboard via a powered USB hub allowed me to use it again.

12 replies

Oct 4, 2015 3:40 AM in response to Zakk4223

Sadly, a powered USB hub didn't work for me. BTW correction: it does come up in the System Report, and it's true it looks like it doesn't get power.

Comparing to Yosemite, it looks like the drivers changed from IOUSBDevice to AppleUSBDevice, maybe that's part of the problem.

I also get these console messages:

kernel[0]: 006246.302816 AppleUSBHostCompositeDevice@: AppleUSBHostCompositeDevice::ConfigureDevice: unable to set a configuration (0xe0005000) kernel[0]: 006247.000596 K108D@fa131200: AppleUSBDevice::waitForInterfacesGated: timeout waiting for _interfacesMatched kernel[0]: 006247.000631 K108D@fa131200: AppleUSBDevice::waitForInterfacesGated: timeout waiting for _interfacesMatched

Oct 5, 2015 7:15 PM in response to Hans Pinckaers

I have the same problem when using a wired Apple keyboard plugged into my KVM switch. I get a pop-up message saying the USB Keyboard hub needs more power and I have to plug it into a hub to get it to work (and the hub doesn't even have to be plugged in). Unfortunately, when I do that, my PC laptop won't recognize the keyboard. This was not an issue before I upgraded to El Capitan. Other keyboards work fine.

Oct 5, 2015 9:13 PM in response to Hans Pinckaers

Thought I would add I have the same problem on two different MacBook Pros and two different Ducky keyboards.

For one (2014 model), I reinstalled OS X El Cap and it started working. The other MBP (2012 model) was not fixed via this method.

As such, this might work as a "quick" fix, but seems flakey.

For completeness, my keyboard shows up under System Information.

I will give the firmware option a go now...

USB Keyboard not working after installing El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.