Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

el Capitan iCloud drive syncing not working

Updated to El Capitan last night. When I first looked into my iCloud Drive, it was empty. Slowly it began syncing and then stopped short. Way short. Much if not all of my non Apple app related docs (Pages, Numbers, etc) appear but have the cloud icon, indicating they still need to download. However, my Pages, Numbers and Keynote folders and contents do not appear. Thankfully they do appear on my iPhone and at iCloud.com. All syncing appears to have stopped.

I created a new document in Numbers and saved it in iCloud. It then created a Numbers folder in my iCloud drive in Finder. However, none of my other documents appear and the one I just created shows the cloud icon as if it is not synced.

***?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11), 32GB RAM

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 6:37 AM

9 replies

Oct 20, 2015 1:05 AM in response to DLR

i am living same situation also, i updated to el capitan, after pages came in 6-8 hours but it isn't work sync perfectly, it was stuck already on pages, notes working also, but NUMBERS doesn't command sync to iCloud, numbers app is empty. i can't use my files on macbook, I can use numbers files via iCloud in iPad, iPhone !

whats the solution ??? pls immediately reply. i added screen shots of issue. User uploaded file, i can't uUser uploaded file

Oct 21, 2015 2:03 AM in response to Excalibur07

The same for me ! Calendar, Reminders, Numbers, Pages, Contacts… doesn't sync or only after a very lot of time, more than 24 hours ! 😠 All my work is on iCloud. I loose time and money. Apple is very strong to make us addict in their products. They encourages us to make regularly the updates, but these updates are always incomplete. Could Apple be a little less trading and a little more responsible to her customers? A little more transparent ? Apple could hold us a little informed about her errors and about the way to count repair them and when ? Are we only cattle? 😠

Nov 24, 2015 2:10 PM in response to DLR

One of my Macs, that has been working with iCloud for months now, decided it would upload everything to iCloud Drive again, which would have taken an eternity, and was completely unnecessary. So I signed out of the account, which deleted all iCloud files on my Mac, and then signed in again, thinking that it would take less time to redownload everything, than to upload everything... some of which might not be current anyway.

The Numbers folder etc. downloaded, but nothing in my iCloud Drive folder downloaded. I'm paying extra for extra space, and this is what I get? Should have stuck with DropBox.

Nov 24, 2015 2:38 PM in response to nathannookie

Do you see your documents from other devices or when you visit iCloud.com? If you do, then try re-signing in again. If you don't then they are gone. The question is, were they ever in the clouds to begin with. You say you were working with iCloud for months. Do you mean iCloud Drive or just iCloud. When you signed out the first time and deleted your documents from your Mac, you may have deleted the only copies of them.

Nov 24, 2015 4:16 PM in response to DLR

Yes, I'm using iCloud Drive... since I installed El Cap beta earlier this year.

Everything is still at iCloud.com and on my main Mac, which is more current, and why I wondered why the other Mac with older data would want to upload everything possibly overwriting more current data. And yes, the data is only gone on the Mac I'd turned off iCloud Drive on. But again, when I turned it back on, only the numbers etc data downloaded... but nothing in iCloud Drive.

I'm in the process of downloading El Cap regular version, so I can get away from the beta stuff that wants to do yet another update. Of course I don't know if they're the same at this time?

Dec 9, 2015 2:16 PM in response to nathannookie

I'm in a similar state.

The system is my work mac running el capitan which I had synced to my iCloud account. It had hardware problems so they gave me a loaner while it was being worked on. The loaner (running yosemite) synced fine, but now that I got my own back, I can't get it to work right.

The windows guys in IT wiped my disk and then did a ****-poor job of restoring it (all the permissions were wrong), so I moved and restored my home directory again and now everything works except for iCloud.

It was stuck with the file state from before they wiped it. I disabled iCloud and reenabled iCloud and it hung for a very long time and then overnight just three of the iCloud drive files reappeared. One says "downloading" and the other two say "not downloaded". All the other files are still gone.

All files are visible both on my personal mac and on the loaner work mac that I haven't returned yet as well as being visible through the web. My personal mac is running El Capitan for what it's worth.

Dec 10, 2015 9:38 AM in response to DeepEddy

huh....After letting it sit like that for a bunch longer, I thought, "I know, I'll try deleting the file that it says is in the process of syncing."

When I did so, the finder hung and I had to restart it.

After that, various things stopped working well on the system including iMessage and Safari, so I rebooted.

After the reboot, I noticed that the fans work working hard so I looked at my iCloud drive and discovered that it had unwedged itself and is now syncing everything.

It would be nice to know the right way to fix this, but I'm happy with this end result.

el Capitan iCloud drive syncing not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.