Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 9 - where are "Show/Hide Toolbar"?

Has Safari 9 really removed the option to Show/Hide Toolbar? This is irksome for at least 2 reasons:

1) first and obvious, user can't hide the toolbar and thus gain additional vertical space

2) user can't navigate Google's search results using keyboard only (hitting TAB with toolbar hidden would activate Google's "Instant results", hitting TAB with toolbar shown will not)

Again, is this option really gone?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11), toolbar

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 6:42 AM

13 replies

Oct 1, 2015 8:02 AM in response to pinkstones

It's not the end of the world, but it is a step backward in usability (for all users, not only the keyboard-driven ones). I've tried your suggestion for the 2nd issue in vain (Safari Preferences --> Advanced --> Accessibility --> "Press Tab to highlight each item on a webpage"). Tab would only select first button to the right of the address bar.

User uploaded file

Meanwhile, the menu bar can now be auto-hidden (Preferences > General > Automatically hide and show the menu bar), so hopefully Safari will get back its toolbar-hiding.

Oct 8, 2015 11:36 AM in response to dan2bit

dan2bit,

You can still hide the address bar by removing it from the toolbar under the "Customize Toolbar..." menu, if that's your only concern...

although it still leaves the top bar ugly fat.

I used to use Safari with nothing on top (toolbar hidden), so when there is only one tab, the top bar was perfectly thin and slick just with the three traffic light buttons.

And when I need to enter a website address, I just typed Command+L, which brought back the tool bar including the address box temporarily.

I really want the show/hide toolbar feature back..

Oct 27, 2015 1:50 PM in response to TheBlaiseM

This is an important issue, thanks TheBlaiseM. As with all other basic features of an interface.

The toolbar does clutter the screen, it is distracting in several ways. I do not like seeing the loading status of pages. If you can remove it in fullscreen it's for a reason. Think about putting some loading indicator on your TV or the time before the current program ends... You could live with it of course but it's better without. It's been possible to hide the toolbar for years, for good reasons.

Please Apple bring back the possibility to hide toolbar, if only through some impractical preference item.

Jul 28, 2016 5:06 AM in response to Paul Le Meur

in fact I'd strongly plead for an option to have all windows behave like quicktime windows (no toolbar visible until you touch the window) or better still have the toolbar (or handle) appear not when the mouse pointer hovers over the window, but when it hovers over the upper margin of that window, the area where the tool bar will have used to be. Would you think that a good feature? I might send a request, or wish or however they call it.

Safari 9 - where are "Show/Hide Toolbar"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.