Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive turned to read only when I installed Os X el capitan

Hi Everyone,

This morning I put some files on an external hard drive. At about noon I installed The new Os X El Capitan and since then the hard drive has turned to read only.
It is the NTFS formatting but since there was no problem this morning I wonder what happend. I can not reformat the drive since I have insufficient space on any other computer of hard drive I own.

Since it worked fine this morning and it doen't now I think there is a problem with the new os, but i can be wrong of course!

I hope somebody has a fix

Kind Regards,

Tim

OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 7:54 AM

You likely had some third party app running that allowed use of an NTFS drive. OSX regardless of version can not write to NTFS formatted drives without you installing a third party app.

17 replies

Oct 2, 2015 5:58 AM in response to Tim_V_H

If your harddrive is formatted into NTFS it will work with any windows PC. Best plan of action is to get a windows PC. drop all your files from the external HD onto your C drive. Then reformat your external harddrive to ExFAT (this is a format that both mac and windows can read and allows for the transfer of files larger that 4gb). Then you can relocate all the stuff back on the external harddrive and use that for your mac.

Oct 29, 2015 9:53 AM in response to garsag

This helped me!! Thanks for sharing this. I have a 5tb Seagate drive that I just got set up last week. When I upgraded to El Captian I couldn't write, only read. I was pretty upset thinking I was going to have to wipe it and start all over! Again, thanks for sharing post!http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/item/ntfs-driver-for-mac-os-maste r-dl/

Nov 4, 2015 1:20 AM in response to Tim_V_H

I had the same problem after upgrading to El Capitan. In my case it was simply that the permissions had been changed so that I only had Read Only access to my external drives. I simply unlocked the little padlock on the Get Info screen for the drives in question, changed my permissions to Read/Write and everything was fine again.

I get the impression from reading various posts that people automatically think this is some sort of NTFS issue, but it could be simpler than that!

External hard drive turned to read only when I installed Os X el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.