Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't login to my macbook pro after upgrading to El Capitan

I just upgraded to El Capitan on my MacBook Pro. Now my MacBook does not recognize my login password. Is there a work around or a way to solve this problem.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 6:47 AM

Hi MDSArch,

Thank you for being a member of the Apple Support Communities and for taking the time to post this question!

If you are still unable to log in to your Mac due to the password, it may be necessary to use recovery and change your password. For more information on recovery, please review the attached article.

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

The following steps will assist you in resetting your computer’s administrator password:

1. Restart your Mac and hold down the Command + R keys at the same time right after you hear the chime

2. When the boot completes you will see the OS X Utilities window. Do not select anything in this window.

3. In the menu bar select Utilities > Terminal

4. Type resetpassword (no space between the words) and press Return on your keyboard

5. In the new window that opens, select your Macintosh HD and enter your new password (and hint if you choose)

6. Select Save

7. Select OS X Utilities > Quit OS X Utilities from the menu bar

8. This will prompt you to restart your Mac

9. After restart, enter your new password to log in

We invite you to reply and let us know if these steps were helpful to you in resolving this situation or to provide further information. We’re glad that you are a part of the Apple Support Communities and look forward to hearing more from you! :)

Best!

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2015 6:47 AM in response to MDSArch

Hi MDSArch,

Thank you for being a member of the Apple Support Communities and for taking the time to post this question!

If you are still unable to log in to your Mac due to the password, it may be necessary to use recovery and change your password. For more information on recovery, please review the attached article.

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

The following steps will assist you in resetting your computer’s administrator password:

1. Restart your Mac and hold down the Command + R keys at the same time right after you hear the chime

2. When the boot completes you will see the OS X Utilities window. Do not select anything in this window.

4. Type resetpassword (no space between the words) and press Return on your keyboard

5. In the new window that opens, select your Macintosh HD and enter your new password (and hint if you choose)

6. Select Save

We invite you to reply and let us know if these steps were helpful to you in resolving this situation or to provide further information. We’re glad that you are a part of the Apple Support Communities and look forward to hearing more from you! :)

Best!

Oct 20, 2015 8:16 PM in response to ptrck50

I have your exact issue....I am on a public BETA of EL CAPITAN and trying to reset my password using the method given above but I am not seeing any volumes and therefore the option to reset my password is greyed out. PLEASE someone help. Apple support won't do anything since it's BETA software and BETA forums for El Capitan are being closed. I am locked out of my own computer, I have my main apple ID signed in and FIND MY MAC active. There has got to be a way to reset my log in password without having to wipe out my computer's hardrive. @ptrck50 did you find a solution?

Oct 28, 2015 10:26 AM in response to ptrck50

I was also having this same problem.

New updated process

If your harddrive is locked/encrypted, you need to perform A-B before moving on to 3

A) Open Disk Utility

B) Click on and select your Logical Volume, under the Internal Disk (it's greyed out). Mine is "Macintosh HD"

C) In the menu bar, Choose File > Unlock.

D) In the menu bar, Choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility.

6. Select Save

Oct 29, 2015 12:53 AM in response to ElectRodgers

Dear ElectRogers,

'C) In the menu bar, Choose File > Unlock' : the computer asked my password and doesn't recognize it. So the problem stays still the same.

Even to use Time Machine or Reinstall Mavericks, I must use my password. My password is the same for my MacBook Pro, my Mac desktopcomputer, my iPad and iPhone, iCloud and App-store. But it doesn't work on my MacBook Pro since El Capitan is installed. Perhaps because I installed a year ago a new HD (SSD).

Thanks for trying to help.

ptrck

I can't login to my macbook pro after upgrading to El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.