Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade El Capitan

Hi. I have Mac Pro 2008. Today I tried to upgrade my system Yosemite 10.10.5 to new El Capitan. After restart my computer installation crashed. When I was trying start my system, on the display backround was something like code. Then system restarted many times, again and again, and installation doesn 't continue. Then I tried boot the system using recovery 10.11 (it was a second option on start up while holding alt during boot). Recovery process stopped at 80% and froze. I can 't install back Yosemite and El Capitan does 't work. What can I do?

Mac Pro (Early 2008), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 9:24 AM

18 replies

Oct 1, 2015 9:32 AM in response to Mac Pro 2008

When the installer does not complete (dies FAR from completion), your original Installation is supposed to remain, intact.

The very LAST things the Installer does is to move files into place so that at the NEXT Restart, the new files will be used to start up the new version.

¿What was the FIRST choice while holding Alt/Option at Startup?

Do you have an alternate Boot Drive or the 10.6.8 Installer/Utilities DVD?

Oct 1, 2015 1:01 PM in response to lllaass

When i boot from USB (8GB USB Drive- made Bootable ElCapInstaller):

everything looks ok, till the first restart

after first restart, during booting computer I see Logo Apple on white bacground and then a lot of text, something like a terminal code.

Then restart and on the screen is text (there was a problem with your computer...). Yosemite worked fantastic, without any problems. But now I can't get to my files...

Upgrade El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.