Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 cannot start backup with iTunes after iOS 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 Upgraded (tried restart Mac and iPhone - Failure)

iPhone 5 cannot start backup with iTunes after iOS 9.0.1 Upgrade from iOS 8.x.x (Latest 8.x.x); then iOS 9.0.2 released and upgraded. iPhone 5 still cannot start backup with iTunes.

In addition, the previous backup of the iPhone 5 was gone also. "Your iPhone has never been backed up with this computer."

Message "iTunes could not back up the iphone because it has not been set up yet." was displayed when I want to start Backup using iTunes.

iPhone 5, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2015 9:31 AM

I am having the same problem as well. I am disgusted with Apple's disregard to its users. I use OS 10.6.8 with iTunes 11.4. The most current version of iTunes available for download (12.3) is which requires OS 10.8.5.

We are sold the idea that the latest and greatest version of whatever software Apple has become available is what we need to operate properly. However, it should not come at a cost. Backwards compatibility is very important, particularly in today's age where the technology changes far quicker than the average consumer can keep up with it. 9.0.2's disregard for older versions of iTunes is that you cannot back up your iPhone on your laptop/iMac, since it does not recognize the phone. I connect my iPhone to my iMac nightly to sync everything and perform backups. This is no longer possible.

It is hoped that Apple will see error of their ways. The fact that I have brought my iPhone to no less than two Apple stores and staff was unaware of this notable glitch in the 9.0.2 upgrade speaks volumes, meaning the average user would not have found this upon researching it.

iMac, OS X (10.6.8), Intel Core 2 Duo

iTunes 11.4

iPhone 5c, iOS 9.0.2

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2015 9:31 AM in response to sgjoelee0

I am having the same problem as well. I am disgusted with Apple's disregard to its users. I use OS 10.6.8 with iTunes 11.4. The most current version of iTunes available for download (12.3) is which requires OS 10.8.5.

We are sold the idea that the latest and greatest version of whatever software Apple has become available is what we need to operate properly. However, it should not come at a cost. Backwards compatibility is very important, particularly in today's age where the technology changes far quicker than the average consumer can keep up with it. 9.0.2's disregard for older versions of iTunes is that you cannot back up your iPhone on your laptop/iMac, since it does not recognize the phone. I connect my iPhone to my iMac nightly to sync everything and perform backups. This is no longer possible.

It is hoped that Apple will see error of their ways. The fact that I have brought my iPhone to no less than two Apple stores and staff was unaware of this notable glitch in the 9.0.2 upgrade speaks volumes, meaning the average user would not have found this upon researching it.

iMac, OS X (10.6.8), Intel Core 2 Duo

iTunes 11.4

iPhone 5c, iOS 9.0.2

Oct 5, 2015 4:23 PM in response to pacobell73

I have the same problem with an ipad air, I backed up ipad to itunes 11.4 prior to update ios 9.02 but now all my apps, data etc are gone as I can't sync with itunes now to get everything from backup onto ipad again. Any suggestions....so frrrrrrrrustrating but I know I'm not the only one. Come on apple get your act together. I have been a long time supporter of apple products, but I think since Steve Jobs's passing apple have become more like Microsoft grrrrrrr.😠

Oct 7, 2015 2:56 PM in response to sgjoelee0

Same problem with new iPhone 5S and iOS 9.0.1. I could update to iOS 9 from iOS 8 (version the iphone came with) but could not create a backup after installation, with the following error alert:

"iTunes could not back up the iphone because it has not been set up yet."

Unfortunately there is apparently no way to "set up" the iPhone from iTunes (v 12.3.0.44, on OSX 10.8.5). It looks like a bug to me, and that needs to be fixed ASAP, unless Apple can explain how we can "set up" the iPhone.

Oct 13, 2015 6:40 AM in response to sgjoelee0

As ridiculous as this sounds, I saw this mentioned somewhere else so I tried it and it worked. All I did was go into my phone's settings->General->Language & Region->iPhone Language; mine is set to English (U.S.). I changed it to English (Canada) it did some type of reset, then I changed it back to English (U.S.) and for whatever reason, the phone backed up after that. Very bizarre.

iPhone 5 cannot start backup with iTunes after iOS 9.0.1 and 9.0.2 Upgraded (tried restart Mac and iPhone - Failure)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.