Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine crashes on launch

Since the upgrade to El Capitan, when I try to launch Time Machine to restore a file, it show's the translucent background for about 1 second and then crashes. It is backing up successfully, and I'm able to navigate to the file by browsing the backup volume with the finder, but the visual/comparison UI is much easier for me to use. Is anyone else having this issue?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 10:34 AM

15 replies

Oct 1, 2015 11:16 AM in response to Jeff Koke

My Time Machine, although did back up an hour or so ago - and backing up now as I type this - has not gone to its usual blue colour and has been yellow since the upgrade.

User uploaded file

I have even thought of taking El Capitan off and restoring my computer back to as it was at noon today (UK time) but I'm now concerned I might lose all.

I've already posted a comment elsewhere about my Mail problems - as others have since the upgrade!

Oct 12, 2015 1:50 PM in response to Jeff Koke

Found a solution :

- boot from recovery partition of Capitan

- select " restore from Time Machine backup"

- cross your fingers

- and ... the Time Machine shows up and present all available backups !

- wait a few hours ( 2H15 in my case ) and you're back to Yosemite , and everything is functional again.

This supposes of course that you have a backup made before installing Capitan, which I did.

That solved my problem, but not why Capitan is such a lousy OS ( my mails disappeared and my USB3 ICyBox was not recognized by the system, among a few other problems ... )

Bottom line : I do not intend to upgrade any time soon.

Oct 13, 2015 1:59 AM in response to hartlepoolmonkey

Well, after many issues with emails and Time Machine, I had some lengthy discussions with Apple Support and El Capitan is back on my machine.

My emails are working superbly, as I write this, and Time Machine worked perfectly after the new installation yesterday afternoon. However, the darn thing has gone yellow again but it is still backing up.

I'm sure a solution will be found soon but I have to give 110% credit to Apple Support for their help to me over the last few days. First class!! 😁

Oct 24, 2015 11:17 AM in response to Jeff Koke

Apparently El Cap has a bug where when two monitors are hooked up to the computer Time Machine crashes after a second at launch.

After unplugging the second monitor from the mac time machine work normally for me.

Also turning on "Displays have separate spaces" in Mission Control also works in my case, with the added annoyance of the additional menu using up space.

I read that sometimes turning it off works.

The problem started for me on Yosemite, so upgraded to el Capitan hoping it would take care of the Problem, then this morning to 10.11.1

Then i found the post with the info above.

I hope this helps, I know this has been thorny issue for me...

Now to figure out why it won't recognize my wireless network speaker anymore...

Time Machine crashes on launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.