Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intellitype Pro Keyboard Settings Don't Work in El Cap

I use a Microsoft Natural 4000 keyboard. Worked beautifully in Yosemite and works on my mini, but on my macbook pro, the settings are ignored. Specifically, I want to flip the Windows/Alt key and regardless if it's checked or not, El Capitan ignores it.

I've tried: Removing Intellitype Pro Keyboard via the uninstaller, rebooting, reinstalling, unchecking/rechecking...and it's still ignored.

Any advice? Really mentally confusing to have your keyboard remapped underneath you.

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 9:22 AM

62 replies

Mar 30, 2017 12:29 PM in response to fiberhome

For reasons unknown, Microsoft is ignoring the Mac version of the IntelliType software, even though they still regularly update it for Windows.

The only way to get it to work in El Capitan or later is to follow the instruction in this topic. Not everything you need to do is in one response, so here's all of it together.

1) Boot to the Recovery partition, or a flash drive El Capitan installer you've created. Click Utilities on the top menu bar, choose Terminal and enter:

csrutil disable

Restart normally back to El Capitan.

2) Install IntelliType. You'll be told it's an unsigned app if you double click the installer. So right click on it and choose Open. After installation is complete, you'll have to restart again.

3) Now that IntelliType is installed, once again boot to the Recovery partition and this time in Terminal enter:

csrutil enable

4) SIP has now been re-enabled, so you have the extra protection SIP brings with it, and IntelliType is still installed and functioning.

5) IntelliType will not load automatically on a startup or restart because it fails to add a Login Item to your user account. You'll have to add it manually. Follow the instructions here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5027397

Also, be aware that with SIP enabled, it's not at all unusual for IntelliType to suddenly stop loading on a startup or restart. Might work for a fews days, weeks, etc, and the OS randomly decides the kernel extension shouldn't be allowed to run. Then you have to go through the whole process again to get it working. The only sure way to avoid that is to disable SIP permanently.

If the only keys you really care about are Command and Option being in the correct Mac positions, you don't need IntelliType at all. Just open the System Preferences and click on Keyboard. Under the Keyboard tab, click Modifier Keys at the lower right. At the top, there'll be a choice for MS 4000 Keyboard (it's not there if IntelliType is installed). Then simply change Option to Command, Command to Option, and click OK.

Oct 3, 2015 4:30 AM in response to raindog308

For anyone who relies on a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard, either because they are a fast touch typist or they have RSI-type problems, upgrading to El Capitan is a bad idea. So far I have yet to see a single advantage or genuinely useful feature of the new OS, and having to revert to Apple's nasty membrane keyboards is hopeless. I'm wishing I'd never bothered.

I can't imagine Microsoft will ever update IntelliType.

Oct 5, 2015 7:02 AM in response to cerber0s

This is a good work-around. It was not working for me until I noticed a drop down at the top of the dialog that allows you to switch between the built-in keyboard and the MS keyboard.

At least now I can move on with the correct Command and Option key mappings. The rest of the custom keys do not work at all.

It will be interesting to see if MS even bothers to update this keyboard software.

Oct 5, 2015 9:44 AM in response to raindog308

I also use the MS 4000 keyboard and have for years. Give me an ergo keyboard any day over a straight one. Much more comfortable to use.

The problem is the new OS protection in El Capitan. Part of the Intellitype installer puts a .kext file in the /System/Library/Extensions/ folder, which is now a big no-no if it isn't a properly developer signed and installed item. On top of that, the System folder is now pretty much 100% off limits to third party vendors. Such .kext files are now supposed to be installed to the /Library/Extensions/ folder.

MS has ignored the Mac version of this software since Lion. To get it to work in Mountain Lion through Yosemite, you have to manually add the keyboard helper to your startup items. Not a big deal to do, and then it properly loads automatically on startup.

But now it's just plain dead until MS gets off their lazy butts and finally updates this software.

Oct 8, 2015 12:00 PM in response to WeeptheGreed

I used the special keys all the time and this is horrible having lost them.

That may sound silly to some, but I completely agree. I can't remember the last time I opened Safari or Outlook from the Dock, or backed up a page in a web browser by mousing up to the top left of the browser window. Those extra keys are very handy, and much faster to use.

Oct 14, 2015 9:08 AM in response to Kurt Lang

There is a way to get IntelliType 8.2 installed and working, and still have System Integrity Protection enabled.

1) Boot to the Recovery partition, or a flash drive El Capitan installer you've created. Click Utilities on the top menu bar, choose Terminal and enter:

csrutil disable

Restart normally back to El Capitan.

2) Install IntelliType. You'll be told it's an unsigned app if you double click the installer. So right click on it and choose Run. You'll notice part of the dialogue that goes by as it's installing is that components are being registered with the system. That's the important part. El Capitan now recognizes it as "okay". There of course is the restart the IntelliType installer does to finish.

3) Now that IntelliType is installed, once again boot to the Recovery partition and this time in Terminal enter:

csrutil enable

4) SIP has now been re-enabled, so you have the extra protection El Capitan brings with it, and IntelliType is still installed and functioning.

Intellitype Pro Keyboard Settings Don't Work in El Cap

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.