Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VMware Fusion

Hi!

I just installed El Capitan to my computer, and now I cant get VMware Fusion to work. I keep getting this message:

Cannot open the disk '/Users/Zoya/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp 3.vmwarevm/Boot Camp 3.vmdk'

or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Module Disk power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

I read online that it is suppose to be compatible with El Capitan (atleast with the Beta-version), so I wonder, what happened?

If anyone knew, it would be really nice!

/Zoya

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 10:28 AM

11 replies

Oct 1, 2015 2:57 PM in response to zoya83

Hello Zoya,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see from your post that you're getting an error that the Module Disk power on failed with VMWare Fusion on your new OS X El Capitan installation. As I currently see it, OS X El Capitan (10.11) is not yet listed in the VMWare Fusion list of supported Guest OS's. I suggest that you get in contact with the VMWare support for any further troubleshooting.

Support | United States

VMware Support Contact Options | United States

Take care.

Oct 4, 2015 12:16 PM in response to Csound1

VMWare Fusion version is 8.01

Booting directly in bootcamp works.

I can post the error messages that come from VMWare but they are in german.

They say something like " the medium "/Users/peter/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk" can not be opened, the VM can not be started.

Trying with the new imported bootcamp, it first looks like it would start, then the error appears that i'm not allowed to get access to that partition but I can click on "Allow". Doing this, the next message is "The data system on which the hard disk "/dev/rdisk1s1" is located is full" or something like this. Clicking on try again does nothing and Cancel makes VMWare crash.

Oct 4, 2015 12:23 PM in response to Macs Pain

Macs Pain wrote:

They say something like " the medium "/Users/peter/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp.vmwarevm/Boot Camp.vmdk" .....

For one thing, that is a very odd location for the VM file and could be part of the problem as

/Library is not normally available for access. All my VMs were defaulted as locating in

/Users/"my user name"/Documents/Virtual Machines. Try recreating the VM again and change

where the VM is saved.

VMware Fusion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.