Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X El capitan installation does not go to completion!

i Have tried to install Os x el capitan several times, but it does not go to completion. the installation gets stuck after the restart, with only a little bit left to install! Please help!!!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 10:05 AM

Maybe you should see space in your memory !
Sometime don't work if haven't memory to install !

31 replies

Oct 1, 2015 10:07 AM in response to davidrex

I have the same issue. I have downloaded El Capitan on my MacBook Air. But I have hit a loop while installing it on the SSD. I get the Apple logo with a progress bar underneath, and I show progress almost to the end. But then the computer shuts down and restarts. Over and over. I also am not sure what to do. The thing is driving me mad. I had no problem with the El Capitan installation last night on my MacBook Pro.

Oct 1, 2015 2:53 PM in response to RG1004

I did try to restore OS X using OS X Recovery. That went fine for downloading and installation. But the same problem popped up when the MacBook Air tried to restart after installation: I got the Apple logo and a progress bar. And then the computer shut down before the progress bar reached the end.

There is evidently some kind of error imbedded that causes the loop of restarting and shutting down. What I may try to do tonight is to restore from the back-up drive, which is off premises.

Otherwise, I am out of ideas.

Oct 1, 2015 6:25 PM in response to CyberBob859

I have a third-party SSD from OWC in my MacBook Air. I believe that I mine is also a 2012 MacBook Air 5,1. But I cannot check now. I called OWC and spoke to a tech rep to see if they had other inquiries with El Capitan not working properly. He said "no."

I am now restoring my MacBook Air from the external hard drive with Time Machine. I shall hold off downloading El Capitan until we straighten out the problem. My guess that if the problem is with the third-party SSD, likely a patch of some kind can be figured out.

Oct 1, 2015 10:00 PM in response to davidrex

I have a fix.

Problem.

After downloading (3 hours) and installing El Cap on MacBook Air 13 inch early 2015 there are two requests for login. The first request has a fuzzy image of Yosemite valley in the background. Then you are requested to login again. This second login is on a grey screen. The progress bar stops without completion.

No change for 8 hours.

When performing the Recovery mode restart below (R Restart) Do not bother with the option to install El Cap again. You already have a good installation. We just need to clear some files that are stopping the installation from loading.

Solution

Shut down.

Restart holding down the R key. Release R key when you see the apple logo.

Login when requested.

Desktop should load. If it does not, shut down and repeat.

When desktop loads, GO/LIBRARY and drag folders; CACHES, STARTUP ASSISTANTS, STARTUP DAEMONS to trash

(Hold down the option key to reveal the LIBRARY)

MACINTOSH HD/LIBRARY and drag folders; CACHES, STARTUP ASSISTANTS, STARTUP DAEMON and COOKIES to trash.

Shutdown.

Restart holding down CMD OPTION P R. Continue holding down the CMD OPTION P R keys until you hear a second 'bong'. Release keys

Login when requested.

Your desktop should now load.

Empty trash.

Oct 1, 2015 10:21 PM in response to Oddmartini

I have a fix.

Problem.

After downloading (3 hours) and installing El Cap on MacBook Air 13 inch early 2015 there are two requests for login. The first request has a fuzzy image of Yosemite valley in the background. Then you are requested to login again. This second login is on a grey screen. The progress bar stops without completion.

No change for 8 hours.

I would not bother installing El Cap again. You already have a good installation. We just need to clear some files that are stopping the installation from loading.

Solution

Shut down.

Restart holding down CMD R. Release Keys when you see the apple logo.

Login when requested.

Desktop should load. If it does not, shut down and repeat.

When desktop loads, GO/LIBRARY and drag folders; CACHES, STARTUP ASSISTANTS, STARTUP DAEMONS to trash

(Hold down the option key to reveal the LIBRARY)

MACINTOSH HD/LIBRARY and drag folders; CACHES, STARTUP ASSISTANTS, STARTUP DAEMON and COOKIES to trash.

Shutdown.

Restart holding down CMD OPTION P R. Continue holding down the CMD OPTION P R keys until you hear a second 'bong'. Release keys

Login when requested.

Your desktop should now load.

Empty trash.

Oct 2, 2015 8:05 AM in response to davidrex

Yeah I got mine to install, but it isn't working when it logs in... It boots up like its fine then the color wheel spins constantly and then after 20.. 30 seconds it locks the system... and you can move the mouse but not select anything..

Rebooting the system does not work either

I am on with Apple Support right now to see what is up with this but its safe to say its a botched release

OS X El capitan installation does not go to completion!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.