Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movies on TC open on iPad do not stream on Apple TC airplay

Hello

at home we are using the Time Capsule HD to store movies and music and documents. When I use movie files via Itunes on my MacBook Pro I can play them on Apple TV via "Computers", no problem.

Unfortunately I travel very often, and at home all the rest of the family has only iPhones and iPad but no other PC with iTunes.

No problem for them to see movies on iPad, via an application called "remote files" they easily access to Time Capsule folders and the movies stored there (via wi-fi), but if they try to play them from iPad to to Apple TV, the Apple TV gives and error message and doesn't play any movies.

I know, we will buy a second MB so the problem is solved, but being all Apple devices to communicate between them I see it as a big limitation that everything works only if there is a PC and iTunes....

Has anyone experienced same problems streaming movies from TC via iPad to Apple TV? Can you help me finding a solution when I am not home?

Thanks

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 8.3

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 10:38 AM

2 replies

Oct 4, 2015 5:00 AM in response to vazandrew

Home Sharing works only if all devices are on same network, which is not my case.

I will contact the app developer to see what is wrong, but it looks to me even an issue of the mirroring function of the iPad playing the files from T.C,

I.e. you open the app Remote Files and through it you select a movie saved on TC. Once you click it, the iPad starts playing the movie with no problem. If you select the Airplay mirroring function on the iPad the Apple TV shows error message and the movie on the iPad stops.

If I save a movie on the iPad itself with iTunes and then I play this movie on the iPad the airplay mirroring with Apple TV works perfectly.

It seems something in the chain TC - iPad - Apple TV is not compatible.

Movies on TC open on iPad do not stream on Apple TC airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.