Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“The selected device has no output controls”

I have just updated to OS 10.11 El Capitan. Upon successful completion of installation, my USB desktop speakers no longer have ANY volume control. I cannot control the volume with the F11 – F12 keys and the volume control in the menu bar is greyed out. The speakers do play but I have absolutely no volume control at all.

Note that USB speakers show up under the ‘Sound’ portion of System Preferences. These speakers also show up under the ‘Audio’ tab of System Hardware as well as under the ‘USB’ tab. No errors are listed in either area.

These speakers have worked with EVERY other OS upgrade for years - including for my previous MAC. With the exception of the new OS, nothing else has changed on this computer.

I would greatly appreciate it if anybody has a suggestion as to how to correct this.

Mac Pro; 2 x 2.4 Quad Core

Speakers: MS Digital Sound System 80

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11), 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 3:58 AM

absolutely same happened to me today. I have MACBOOK PRO, Onkyo System with great speakers, connected via USB. Been working for over 10 years with every MAC and every possible upgrade. But not today.... argh!

"The selected device has no output controls"....

THIS is all I'm getting and it's a tad frustrating when you know everything was absolutely fine a few hours ago.

I'm glad I am not the only one and I hope someone can find a solution please.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Speakers BURR-BROWN JAPAN PCM2702 - ONKYO

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2015 3:58 AM in response to foundryfire

absolutely same happened to me today. I have MACBOOK PRO, Onkyo System with great speakers, connected via USB. Been working for over 10 years with every MAC and every possible upgrade. But not today.... argh!

"The selected device has no output controls"....

THIS is all I'm getting and it's a tad frustrating when you know everything was absolutely fine a few hours ago.

I'm glad I am not the only one and I hope someone can find a solution please.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Speakers BURR-BROWN JAPAN PCM2702 - ONKYO

Oct 2, 2015 2:24 PM in response to foundryfire

Hello foundryfire,

I have the same speaker set (MS Digital Sound System 80) on my Mac Mini Late 2012 and now the same problem after upgrading to El Capitan.

Fortunately the buttons on top of the right speaker do work.

I just hope it is not a driver problem, because those speakers are pretty old now and MS will not rewrite any drivers for these...

For the moment we just have to hang on I presume...

Oct 5, 2015 1:30 AM in response to foundryfire

Same problem for me after upgrading. I use a Creative xmod usb sound card and the volume control has been greyed out since the upgrade. In sound preferences I can still adjust the input volume but not the output volume. It says the selected device has no output controls. Has worked fine on all my machines since Snow Leopard.

Currently using a 13 inch Retina MBP late 2013.

Oct 5, 2015 1:36 AM in response to foundryfire

Same problem for me after upgrading. I use a Creative xmod usb sound card and the volume control has been greyed out since the upgrade. In sound preferences I can still adjust the input volume but not the output volume. It says the selected device has no output controls. Has worked fine on all my machines since Snow Leopard.

There is an output where the level appears to be stuck at the level it was set to before the upgrade. I can control it with the analogue volume control on the headset.

Currently using a 13 inch Retina MBP late 2013.

“The selected device has no output controls”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.