Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App update "man-in-the-middle security bypass" issue

Do I have a virus?

When updating apps today, the IBM security software reported the following:

10/01/2015, 13:09:05 GMT: submitted by atl-prd-webapp-02b-SOC_Console

Ticket updated via SOC Console by user: ogarasym

Src Ip Src Port Event Name Action Severity Dst Ip Dst Port Count Timestamp

208.87.181.43 49566 OpenSSL TLS Man-In-The-Middle Security Bypass MONITOR High 17.249.105.246 443 1 10/01/2015 12:52:37

Src. Attributes Dst. Attributes

208.87.181.43: Internal

Attack ID: CPAI-2014-1616

Last Update: 19-April-2015

Industry References: CVE-2014-0224

Source: IPS Research Team

Supported Products: Security Gateway: R77, R76, R75, R71, R70

Threat Description:

A security bypass via ChangeCipherSpec (CCS) Injection vulnerability has been reported in older versions of OpenSSL. The vulnerability is due to a weakness in OpenSSL methods used for keying material. The vulnerability can be exploited through the use of a man in the middle attack, where an attacker may be able to decrypt and modify traffic in transit. A remote unauthenticated attacker could exploit this vulnerability by using a specially crafted handshake to force the use of weak keying material.

IPS Protection:

This protection will detect and block attempts to exploit this vulnerability.

Attack Detection:

Attack Name: SSL Enforcement Violation

Attack Information: OpenSSL TLS Man-In-The-Middle Security Bypass

Vulnerable Systems:

iPad 2, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 10:38 AM

2 replies

Oct 1, 2015 5:00 PM in response to Another alias

Internet search revealed this surfaced in June of 2014. I'd assume it was fixed by now in ios by now. I would not expect to see this in ios 9.

Fixed in Mac OS X.

See OpenSSL

About the security content of OS X Mavericks v10.9.5 and Security Update 2014-004 - Apple Support

Note date of this blog entry. Do not know if you can detect version of SSL on 'net.

https://0xicf.wordpress.com/2014/06/11/how-i-discovered-ccs-injection-vulnerabil ity-cve-2014-0224/

It could be a report that the server didn't get the patch. Figure out what server is involved. See if you can recreate problem with different devices.

R

App update "man-in-the-middle security bypass" issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.