Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I access the up next queue

iPhone 5s

iOS 9.0.2

Podcasts v. 2.3

I have found where I can put podcasts in the "up next" queue. But I have not found where I can view the queue to make changes or to know what is coming up next.

I do not use iTunes for anything more than a content loading service. So there may be a way to view the queue there, but I haven't checked as it would not be convenient for when I listen to podcasts.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 7:50 PM

Okay I found out what you have to do. Just slide up on the full screen of whatever podcast you are listening to and it will show the whole list of the order that it will play in. To change the order just hold the three lines next to the podcast you want to move and drag it up or down in the order. To remove it from the list completely just hold it and drag to the left until it says delete.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2017 7:50 PM in response to Hosssmash1982

Okay I found out what you have to do. Just slide up on the full screen of whatever podcast you are listening to and it will show the whole list of the order that it will play in. To change the order just hold the three lines next to the podcast you want to move and drag it up or down in the order. To remove it from the list completely just hold it and drag to the left until it says delete.

Oct 3, 2017 11:29 AM in response to FWJM66

While playing a podcast, in the menu that you are only seeing what you are listening to where the Timer and fast forward options are. scroll up.

If I didn’t come to this forum to finally find out how to do this I would have felt very stupid when ever I would have stumbled on this. I use the queue so I don’t have to be seen on my phone while at work

Oct 2, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Detox665

To view the Up-Next queue: you need to use the "full-screen" player on the iOS device. If you've just got the little player at the bottom of the screen - the single narrow bar, right above the Unplayed / My Podcasts / etc. buttons - then you need to press the middle of that bar. That should expand to the full-screen player.

Once you've got the full-screen player, look in the lower right corner, to the right of the "Jump 15 seconds" button. You should see a button with three right-bulleted lines. Press that button. That'll show you the Up Next queue.

Making changes in Up Next? That's a lot harder, absurdly so in my opinion. I don't think you can change things directly from that list. You can add other podcast episodes to the Up Next list, either with "Play Next" (which puts it at the top of the queue) or "Add to Up Next" (which adds it to the bottom of the queue). That'll work if you know where your episodes are, and you're willing to do this one episode at a time.

Or: make a station with manual play order. Go to "My Podcasts", press "+", Add a Station. In the Station Settings, set "Play" to "Manual". Then, when you go into that station, you can drag and drop the different episodes to the order you want. This is the best way I've found to construct a playlist in manual order, but man, they don't make it easy.

I keep hoping there's an easier way that I'm missing. The way this is currently set up is absurd.

Oct 2, 2015 8:23 AM in response to Lost in Asia

Thanks very much! I agree that the current set up is absurd.

I make matters worse by doing things the folks at Apple can't imagine. I'm binge listening to a series, listening to podcasts as they are released, and picking up old episodes that sound interesting on a random basis. I listen to the downloads in a random order as well.

The playlist thing doesn't sound like a good solution. I may try it.

A simple "up next" list with the ability to "move up/move down" would really help.

Thanks again!

Oct 4, 2015 6:22 PM in response to Detox665

For "a simple 'up next' list with the ability to 'move up/move down'": making a station with play [order] set to Manual seems to be the least-bad approach at the moment. Just make sure "Group Podcast" is turned to off in that station's settings - each episode will be listed individually, and you'll be able to drag them around if you choose "Edit" in the upper right corner.

Oct 16, 2015 7:56 PM in response to Lost in Asia

Thank you for the clues about ordering podcasts! I listen to a podcast with episodes that need to be in a specific sequence, but they do not automatically sort that way. I've made a "Station" and sorted everything properly. But Apple insists on adding newly downloaded episodes to the _top_ of my station, so that if I just jump into the car and hit play I get way-out-of sequence episodes in the wrong order! (The Edit process is definitely not something I want to try in the car!)

So I see your note about "You can add other podcast episodes to the Up Next list, either with "Play Next" (which puts it at the top of the queue) or "Add to Up Next" (which adds it to the bottom of the queue)."

Is there any way to tell the automatic downloader to add new items at the bottom of my station?

Or to tell it not to add them at all, I'll do it manually sometime when I'm not anxious to drive somewhere?

I have the 9.0.2 version if that matters.

Oct 16, 2015 8:03 PM in response to LorenAmelang

On automatically adding new items to the bottom of your station: unfortunately, I don't think so. If you have that station set to "Oldest to Newest", then yes, the new ones should go to the bottom, but if you want to sort it in a different way (e.g. manually), you're stuck with Apple's default assumption that "OF COURSE you'll want to listen to the newest episodes first!". This is an aggravating "feature" that had me stop using manually-sorted podcast stations pretty quickly.

I suppose I should recommend that you send feedback to Apple about this, but alas, I'm rather pessimistic that they even pay attention to such things.

If I were actually trying to drive with this app ... ugh. I think I'd go back to talk radio. It's glitchy as all get-out and keeps stopping playback for no good reason.

Oct 17, 2015 12:45 PM in response to Lost in Asia

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I just went to my "subscription" to the podcast and turned off "Download Episodes", and set "Refresh Every" to Manually. With luck that will get me back to the situation I had with Android, where I manually downloaded the podcasts and sorted them at the same time.

For all of my other podcasts, the automation works fine the way Apple has set it up. Just this one needs to be in a specific sequence, and is released in groups that don't sort properly.

Oct 17, 2015 4:53 PM in response to LorenAmelang

I'm curious if the Refresh Manually option works for you. It doesn't for me - the app still downloads episodes pretty much every time I open it, I think. I haven't yet worried too much about that because I don't have an issue with bandwidth caps.

If you've got one podcast that has a different pattern, you may want to put just that podcast in its own station; that'd keep it out of the way from the other podcasts.

Nov 17, 2015 9:45 PM in response to Lost in Asia

With "Download Episodes" turned off, and "Refresh Every" set to Manually, the Podcast app ignored all new episodes for a month. When I checked, it said there were 10 new episodes it had ignored. After searching all over for a button or menu to manually update my "Station", I finally tried dragging down on the list of already downloaded episodes - and it began downloading the new ones. Put them at the top, in the wrong order, like it always did, but I tapped "Edit" and manually drug them to the proper bottom locations. The next time I hit play it continued with my original sequence. Success!

How do I access the up next queue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.