Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purple Tracks Since El Capitan upgrade

I upgraded to El Capitan yesterday and since then, all of my tracks in Garage Band 6.0.5 are fluorescent purple. Anyone know how to change them back to orange?

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 11:35 AM

24 replies

Oct 1, 2015 5:05 PM in response to Cosimoto

Wow, using an app (GarageBand 6.0.5) on El Capitan that was discontinued many OSX versions ago ... very brave.

Be prepared for more surprises, or upgrade to the current GarageBand app (if possible) that is compatible with El Capitan.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Oct 5, 2015 7:19 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Considering Apple significantly hobbled GarageBand 7 and removed all podcasting features, using a newer version is not an option for people who have (probably purposefully) stuck with 6.0.5. Your suggestion is slightly condescending and not helpful.

I have the same issue. I am looking for a solution, too. This dark purple makes viewing the track very difficult.

Oct 6, 2015 9:53 AM in response to Frank Befera

Feel your pain, Frank. I'm in the exact same boat. Since we all seem to be podcasters, Levelator exploding was my other big issue. Not sure if anyone else uses it but someone did post a fix which worked for me: https://tidbits.com/article/15966

Hopefully we'll see a fix for GB 6 too. Its impossible to use the main window and I'm pulling my hair out editing in GB 10.

Oct 6, 2015 4:34 PM in response to Opperman

Opperman wrote:

Your suggestion is slightly condescending and not helpful.

Not condescending at all and actually helpful.

If you know Apple, then you know that "backwards compatibility" is not in their DNA. You use an app that is discontinued and not updated for almost 5 years. In Apple terms, that is steam technology territory.

I know that all the great features and improvements in GarageBand 10 aren't helpful if you rely on the podcast feature, which was eliminated. So your only option (in lack of any other app you can use) is to hold on to it as long as possible.

I have a similar problem with the iWeb app and the old Pages app, which I use for my business. Both are discontinued and with every OSX upgrade I'm worried to reach the end of the line. That's how it is. However, if you are in that situation, then you should try the OSX upgrade first on a separate drive or partition to check if it breaks anything.

BTW, did you read any articles about El Capitan and audio apps lately? The internet is full of it and the consensus is, wait until all the software and hardware is supported - if at all (yes there are already some "casualties"). So I don't know why you upgrade your system already in the first week of the new OSX release, especially when using a mission critical app, that is an audio app, and that is discontinued for many years.

Hope that helps (this time)

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Oct 6, 2015 4:43 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Hi all, and thanks for the responses. One thing I just noticed is that the screenshot in my original post was taken on my iMac running the El Capitan gold master. The screen shot below was taken on my MacBook Pro which is running the El Capitan public beta (version 10.11.1 Beta (15B22c). As you can see, the track is the normal orange. So maybe Apple will fix this in an upcoming release. In the meantime, you might consider running the beta. I have not experienced any compatibility issues, although YMMV.

User uploaded file

Oct 8, 2015 2:55 PM in response to Opperman

The current El Capitan release seems to have a more general problem with colors in older software. There is a similar problem in Aperture 3.6 (the cmpatibility update for Yosemite), where all of a sudden photos are appearing to be overexposed, when displayed with onscreen proofing. The handling of colour profiles seems to be broken.

Oct 14, 2015 11:11 AM in response to Cosimoto

It seems the byte order of the tiff resource file being read is the issue.

From my quick analysis the byte order is supposed to be RGB (per pixel), but is instead of GBR.

I created two new resource files to make the color as readable as possible (it's still not the correct orange-color).

Please make a backup copy of the resources before doing this.

Download this zip file, extract the contents to your Desktop, "right-click" on Garage Band 6.0.5.app and select "Show Package Contents", then drag those two tiff files into the "Resources" folder and overwrite the contents. This applies *only* to external audio files and no other track styles/contents. I have confirmed the issue does not persist in El Capitan 10.11.1 Public Beta.

Please make a backup copy of the resources before doing this.

Before: User uploaded file

After: User uploaded file

Oct 14, 2015 11:36 AM in response to Klaser

Effort much appreciated, Klaser. I gave it a try and, for me personally, its still unusable for editing. That said, for anyone else looking to try this, I can confirm that the wave form is more easily viewed in the main window after this swap. I guess I should go after the public beta since we now have two confirmed reports of it solving the problem.

Purple Tracks Since El Capitan upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.