Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Local Network Sync with New Notes.app in El Capitan

I currently use OS X Server 4 and OS X Yosemite on a MacBook Pro, and iOS 8 on my iPhone 6.

OS X 4 Server allows me to synchronize my Apple Notes between my MacBook Pro and iPhone locally within my own network using IMAP. I have never used iCloud to sync my personal data because, in my opinion, every online "cloud" server has been or will be hacked. I want my personal data to stay personal.

Before I decide whether to upgrade to the newly released software, OS X El Capitan (with the new Notes.app), OS X Server 5, and iOS 9, I need to know if I will still be able to sync the new Notes.app locally on my own network using IMAP on Server 5 without having to use iCloud.

It is not clear from my readings to date as to whether the new Notes.app will sync only with iCloud or whether it will also still allow local IMAP syncing.

Any related feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10), OS X Server Yosemite

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2015 4:22 PM

I am of the same opinion as you: no personal data in the cloud.

To answer your question: Yes you can up-date and sync your notes like before.

But there is one thing you need to keep in mind: whilst you can use the new Notes app you can't use the new features

of notes.

Basically you continue to use the old way of syncing but use the new Notes app without the new features.

Works also under iOS 9.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2015 4:22 PM in response to RSatria

I am of the same opinion as you: no personal data in the cloud.

To answer your question: Yes you can up-date and sync your notes like before.

But there is one thing you need to keep in mind: whilst you can use the new Notes app you can't use the new features

of notes.

Basically you continue to use the old way of syncing but use the new Notes app without the new features.

Works also under iOS 9.

Local Network Sync with New Notes.app in El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.