Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Items on This Mac Only

Hello,

I've recently started using Apple Photos on my MacBook under El Capitan. Also, I'm using it on my new iPhone 6s. I've directed Photos to upload everything to iCloud Library. It seems to have done this quite nicely, except for 3 items. I have no idea what these 3 items are. At the bottom of Photos on the Mac, it says: "3 Items on This Mac Only." How do I figure out what those 3 items are? I've tried to compare photos from my MacBook and my iPhone, but there are just too many pictures; it's impossible to find just 3 that haven't uploaded.

Please see the screenshots on MacBook and iPhone so you can see what I'm talking about. As you can see the MacBook reports: 7,089 photos while the iPhone reports just 3 less or 7,086 photos.

I'd greatly appreciate any information or help you may be able to give.

Best wishes,

Greg

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 12:34 PM

13 replies

Nov 11, 2017 6:38 PM in response to Gregcheersykes

Gregcheersykes wrote:

Upon trying to consolidate them the following happens. I am given a path to where the photos are located. I am asked if I would like to "allow Photos access to my Media." I choose: OK. But, it opens up a window that will not allow me to select the containing folder to consolidate. See screenshot.

Seems to me that this may just be a mere security setting, because I can easily navigate to the photos using Find. So, how can I temporarily bypass the security/grayed out business so I can view contents of folders.

See screenshot please for image of everything grayed out.

User uploaded file

It's not a permissions thing, it's that the iPhoto directory has a "package" flag on it (much like most applications have). Go the same location in the finder (not using Photos) and right click on the iphoto library and then select "Show Contents". Then you should be able to surf to the subfolder that is referenced. Leave that finder window open and then go back to the Photos dialog asking you to select this folder, drag the folder from the Finder to this dialog window and it will instantly import the photos properly. I just used this method to recover 33 photos from a vacation that apparently weren't properly imported back when I made the switch.

Oct 5, 2015 12:58 PM in response to Gregcheersykes

I thank you again for your help. Any ideas on how to reveal what these ghost files are?

Try a different constraint in your smart album - use the rule "Photo is Referenced".

If you import photos with the option "Copy into the Photos Library " disabled, the files will show as "On this Mac only", but not in the "Unable to upload" smart album. Referenced items cannot upload to iCloud Photo Library.

If you are seeing photos or other items in the smart albums with referenced files, you can move them into the library with "File > Consolidate".

Oct 5, 2015 2:37 PM in response to léonie

Hello léonie,

Thank you VERY much for your help. That was all I needed to do--use: "Photo is Referenced." I found the 3 photos in question. Yeah!

Upon trying to consolidate them the following happens. I am given a path to where the photos are located. I am asked if I would like to "allow Photos access to my Media." I choose: OK. But, it opens up a window that will not allow me to select the containing folder to consolidate. See screenshot.

Seems to me that this may just be a mere security setting, because I can easily navigate to the photos using Find. So, how can I temporarily bypass the security/grayed out business so I can view contents of folders.

See screenshot please for image of everything grayed out.

Thanks again!

Greg

User uploaded file

Oct 9, 2015 6:47 AM in response to Gregcheersykes

Your referenced photos are referenced inside an iPhoto Library?

Consolidate will not allow to remove potos from a different library package.

I would try to select the photos in question and to export them to a different folder with "File > Export> Export original files".

Then try again to consolidate, but navigate to your exported files.

Oct 9, 2015 6:51 AM in response to léonie

Yes indeed they're inside an iPhoto Library. Very strange. As you can see from that screenshot, I have iPhoto Library, Photo Booth Library, and now Photos Library (my computer used to be in Spanish, biblioteca--so that's why it comes up as iPhoto biblioteca (library).

Furthermore, the location of the file is inside iPhoto Library (screenshot posted of the root of where it is). I'll try to remove and I'll post back!

Thanks!

Greg

User uploaded file

Oct 9, 2015 8:06 AM in response to léonie

No, never. I'm a basic user, ha ha. The photos in question are not photos I took myself with my iPhone, but photos I took from Facebook years ago from a gathering with friends. In any case, I could not access the photos via Finder even following the exact folder route, when I opened up the folder, there was nothing. It would not let me export them nor export them as originals.

In the end, I resorted to just deleting those 3 photos. They weren't THAT important.

Thanks again!

Items on This Mac Only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.