Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan dowloaded now have lost emails

Hi , Just downloaded El Capitan, Email accounts are working OK but all of my mailboxes have disappeared.

Has anyone had the same problem

Thanks

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 3:45 AM

Try re-indexing the mailboxes. This can take awhile if you have a lot of mail.

Reindex messages

68 replies

Oct 2, 2015 12:19 PM in response to Channel viewer

I found the files mentioned in the V3 directory and removed the three of them that were listed as Envelope Index. Once I launched mail, it began the indexing process and the number of messages it was importing was approximately the number I had prior to upgrading to El Capitan. However, once Mail completed indexing the emails, none of the lost messages showed up in the Mailbox.

I've also rebuilt the mailbox and still can't get the messages to appear. Help 😟

Oct 3, 2015 1:01 PM in response to Eric Root

Unfortunately the did not work for me. All my mailboxes are intact except the Inbox is empty . . . and I cannot send mail . . . I get a message that says "

This message could not be sent. It will remain in your Outbox until it can be sent. This message could not be sent because your account does not have a preferred outgoing mail server. Select an outgoing mail server from the list below." Of course, there is no "list below". Very disappointed with what should be a simple install in a latest-model MacBook Pro. Been a Mac user since 1988 and every update seems to break something these days 😟

Oct 4, 2015 9:59 AM in response to JStone035035

I have this same problem. I have 4 different business emails on pop accounts. I have lost all my emails.

Tried looking for these "index" files in V2 and V3 but they are not there.

I need to recover these soon!! Apple folk this is a nightmare!!

This is for Apple folk:

I am gonna post a message on my Facebook to tell people not to upgrade until this can be fixed... its a colossal waste time spending ages trying to recover mails that you had in your mail..

Its the equivalent of someone coming into your house and taking or "hiding" all your files and important documents and not telling you where everything is...

El Capitan dowloaded now have lost emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.