Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Second-hand iMac G3/600 Summer, how to reset

I purchased this at a thrift store and it boots and runs just fine. However, the previous owner left all of his programs and stuff on it. I'd like to "factory reset" it, but of course it didn't come with any disks. It's running OS X 10.2.8

As it happens, I have a Powerbook G4, which came with install CDs for 10.4, but the iMac just looks at them and immediately ejects them.

What can I do?

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 9:58 PM

Your PowerBook's OS 10.4 (Tiger) install disks are specific to that computer's hardware build, so they can't be used with that iMac. You should check ebay for the retail/universal installer disk set for Tiger, which are the black disks with a large "X" across the label. Does your iMac have the CD-RW drive or a DVD-ROM drive? That will determine whether you can use the retail Tiger DVD installer disk set. When initially released, Tiger could be obtained on CDs, through an Apple media exchange program. If Jaguar is installed on that iMac, I assume that the previous owner had upgraded the memory from its original configuration. I'd recommend at least 512 MBs of memory for Tiger, although that model can be maxed out with a pair of 512 MB DIMMs. You might want to replace the internal hard drive with a larger one, although anything larger than 128 GBs won't be recognized by the IDE controller. Those slot-loading iMacs use an IDE/PATA (Parallel ATA), and not a Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2015 9:58 PM in response to Linguist208

Your PowerBook's OS 10.4 (Tiger) install disks are specific to that computer's hardware build, so they can't be used with that iMac. You should check ebay for the retail/universal installer disk set for Tiger, which are the black disks with a large "X" across the label. Does your iMac have the CD-RW drive or a DVD-ROM drive? That will determine whether you can use the retail Tiger DVD installer disk set. When initially released, Tiger could be obtained on CDs, through an Apple media exchange program. If Jaguar is installed on that iMac, I assume that the previous owner had upgraded the memory from its original configuration. I'd recommend at least 512 MBs of memory for Tiger, although that model can be maxed out with a pair of 512 MB DIMMs. You might want to replace the internal hard drive with a larger one, although anything larger than 128 GBs won't be recognized by the IDE controller. Those slot-loading iMacs use an IDE/PATA (Parallel ATA), and not a Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive.

Oct 1, 2015 10:12 PM in response to Jeff

Thanks!

It doesn't look like the previous owner upgraded anything - the system info shows one 256MB DIMM and an empty slot. I can probably get by with just the 40MB drive installed, since it's just going to be a web surfing/writing machine. That said, will I be able to run Tiger with only the 256MB, or should I just stick with Jaguar? I know memory's relatively cheap now, but so am I 🙂

Specs I'm seeing say this is an "Ultra ATA drive," whatever that is.

OH, while I'm thinking about it, would I be able to take my slot-loading DVD-RW from my dead Powebook and swap in in for the slot-loading CD-RW? I know with tray loaders it's difficult if not impossible to take a laptop drive and put it into a desktop, but maybe slot loaders are different?

Oct 2, 2015 12:31 PM in response to Linguist208

Tiger will barely run on an imac g3 600 with 256meg of memory.

To surf the web, you need Tiger + Tenfourfox, which is a clone of the latest version of Firefox + you need a gig of memory. Surfing the web will be slow. WIth TenFourFox you can surf any site, but be patient. Videos are mostly a miss or slow with lots of beach ball visibility.

I have the exact machine. I had 768meg in the machine and TenFourFox was very slow. Boosting the memory to 1gig made a noticeable difference. I got another two years of usage out of the machine after maxing out the memory.

Get a cheap copy of word on ebay. Microsoft Office:mac 2004 works well on the g3. Microsoft has a docx to doc, etc. translators. The doc, etc. are still readable by the latest office versions. OpenOffice runs too slow & is frustrating to use.

You could leave the machine apart when loading Tiger. You need to boot just once when you install Tiger.

You will probably want to put in a new harddrive in the machine while you have it apart. Or, keep good backups.

You may still be able to buy a new Cannon Pixma mg3120. Has tiger drivers.

R

Oct 2, 2015 5:58 PM in response to Linguist208

Can you get in to the Startup Options by holding the Option Key after the chime

If so check this link out

Mac OS X 10.3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-OS-X-10-3-Panther-Full-Retail-Installation-3-C D-Set-/121756700627?hash=item1c5943cfd3

Mac OS X 10.4 (Cheapest one I could find, Apparently the CD's are rare)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Apple-Mac-OS-X-Tiger-10-4-install-DVD-FREE-SHIPPING- MANUAL-DROP-IN-DISC-/151813175055?hash=item2358c5370f

If you cant get to Startup Options

Zap the PRAM (Hold command+option+P+R, wait for three chimes) then try the disks

Startup Options:

User uploaded file

Second-hand iMac G3/600 Summer, how to reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.