Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDF service problem

I have been using a simple automator workflow to print a file to PDF and save it in a designated folder. With the El Cap update, the file no longer saves to the folder. I tried creating a new workflow, saving to a different folder and resetting my printer system, all without success. Is anyone else seeing problems with the Move Finder Items to a designated folder in automator workflows or otherwise having issues with PDF service workflows?

Thanks,

Norm

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 1:08 AM

I'll have to poke around to test, but you don't need a workflow to move to a folder in the PDF Services. Just make an alias to the folder in the PDF Services folder and you can "print" to that folder.

If you are doing more processing than moving to a folder, then that won't work.

7 replies

Oct 2, 2015 12:20 AM in response to MooneyPilot

Thanks Barney-15E. I found a similar solution after posting. If one puts a rename finder item step in first, then the move step works fine. This is a new requirement under El Capitan. My workflow places the pdf file into a processing folder. Hazel.app watches that folder and then renames the file with a date stamp added, tags with metadata as needed based on the source, and then moves the file into DevonThink Pro Office for filing. I use this for electronically filing receipts. It's an important workflow for me, so glad that it is now working again. 🙂 Again, thanks for responding.

Norm

Oct 12, 2015 7:55 AM in response to meljturner

I'm not sure exactly what happened. It could be related to a new restriction on the use of temporary files which are produced by the print/pdf engine. I would suggest using the rename finder item step first in the workflow, then go through your dialog, manipulate the name and then apply the new name to the file when you save it in the folder. Perhaps that will fix the problem for you.

Norm

Nov 17, 2015 10:56 AM in response to MooneyPilot

I had the same problem and your solution worked for me. I have had a simple two-step Automator Printing Workflow added to my Mail print dialog. It has worked for years. It simply takes the PDF and moves it to my Web Receipts folder, then it opens the Web Receipts folder using Reveal in Finder. I simply recreated the original script in Automator, but added the single command "Apply Quartz Filter" as the first step in the workflow. I even chose no quartz filter to be applied in the command options.

Many thanks!

PDF service problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.