Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Will an iPhone 6s bought in US work in Europe (Portugal)

Imagine I buy an iPhone 6s in the US directly from the Apple Store (not online).

Do I need to do anything else in the US so that the Phone will work on Europe? Do I need to insert any US SIM Card first?

Thanks!

iPhone 6s

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 3:26 PM

Oct 1, 2015 3:29 PM in response to tomasmouton In response to tomasmouton

You need to buy an unlocked model iPhone which limits you to the full price T-Mobile or Verizon models. You need to check with the cell provider you are going to use in Europe to see if you will have LTE support. If you need warranty support you will have to return to the US and you might have trouble buying one right now.

Oct 1, 2015 3:29 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Oct 1, 2015 3:34 PM in response to deggie In response to deggie

Hi! Thanks a lot for the fast reply 🙂

Yes, the operator here already offers LTE support (4G). I also have bought the worldwide warranty, in order to avoid that problem.

So, I did not fully understand. The phone was bought in Apple Store, and it is unlocked. Can I just turn the phone On in Europe with my own SIM card?

Thanks!

Oct 1, 2015 3:34 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Oct 1, 2015 3:37 PM in response to tomasmouton In response to tomasmouton

There is no world-wide warranty on iPhones. Even AppleCare+ is not world-wide, so if you bought it in the US you will have to return it to the US for warranty or repair. You can use it anywhere in the world if it is unlocked.

Oct 1, 2015 3:37 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 1, 2015 3:38 PM in response to tomasmouton In response to tomasmouton

Lots of people offer LTE (4G) support but they use different LTE bands. The bands on the phone have to match what your carrier uses.

There is no such thing as an international warranty. If your phone fails you will have to return to the US for service.

The only unlocked iPhone 6s that the Apple Store currently sells is the T-Mobile. The GSM side of the Verizon iPhone is unlocked per an agreement with a US governmental agency.

Put your nanoSIM in the slot and activate it.

Oct 1, 2015 3:38 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 1, 2015 3:46 PM in response to tomasmouton In response to tomasmouton

If it is an AT&T phone it is locked to AT&T and will not work with any other SIM. You must ask AT&T to unlock it. If you paid full price they should. See: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532

Oct 1, 2015 3:46 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 1, 2015 3:51 PM in response to tomasmouton In response to tomasmouton

A full price AT&T iPhone 6s is contract free but is locked to AT&T. You will need to contact them to unlock it.

Yes, you need to put the nanoSIM you get from the cell provider in your iPhone and activate it. If they are an authorized iPhone provider it will set up with no issues.

Oct 1, 2015 3:51 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 7, 2016 10:45 AM in response to holmesrg In response to holmesrg

It is very accurate. There is no requirement that Apple honor warranties outside of the country of purchase, which you can see if you read the warranty document. However, Apple may honor it at the discretion of the local manager, if they have the correct replacement in stock. But there is no guarantee that they will.

Practical experience of many users has demonstrated that Apple in Europe usually refuses to honor a US warranty, and Apple in Asia never honors a US warranty.

Sep 7, 2016 10:45 AM

Reply Helpful

Sep 7, 2016 1:45 PM in response to Lawrence Finch In response to Lawrence Finch

Oh, well I must just be lucky (twice).

It definitely doesn't say it's international, but it doesn't say it isn't either.

Also, the same thing happened with my Apple Watch. Replaced in the US under Applecare bought in Australia. I'm clearly very lucky.

Sep 7, 2016 1:45 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 7, 2016 1:53 PM in response to holmesrg In response to holmesrg

holmesrg wrote:

Oh, well I must just be lucky (twice).

It definitely doesn't say it's international, but it doesn't say it isn't either.

See: https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ios-warranty-document-us.html

Especially this clause:

IMPORTANT RESTRICTION FOR iPHONE, iPAD AND APPLE TV SERVICE.

Apple may restrict warranty service for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the device.

Also, the same thing happened with my Apple Watch. Replaced in the US under Applecare bought in Australia. I'm clearly very lucky.

Most Apple products have international warranties, including the Apple Watch. iOS devices and the Apple TV are exceptions.

Sep 7, 2016 1:53 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: tomasmouton

Question: Will an iPhone 6s bought in US work in Europe (Portugal)