Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Install El Capitan

Hi:

I seem to have an odd problem trying to install OSX El Capitan on my 2014 13" Retina MBP.

I downloaded the OS via App Store, downloaded fine, and then the installer launched. I click "Continue", accepted the license agreement, selected the install location (which is default of Macintosh HD), and say some progress of some file copy - it was pretty quick - about 10 - 15 secs, and then the machine restarted. Upon restart, I saw the Apple Logo, and a little while later my login screen came up. I logged in and it returned me to 10.10.5 Yosemite - no sign of El Capitan. The "Install El Capitan" app bundle is still in my Applications folder. I get no prompts or anything about any errors, at least not what I can see.

I tried removing the "Install El Capitan" bundle redownload again from App Store, but App Store says it is already downloaded and wouldn't try downloading again (I was thinking it may be a bad download). Looks like some cache issue somewhere that is preventing me from re-downloading El Capitan.

Has anyone come across this - it seemed that El Capitan wasn't even attemping to install on my machine, and I can't re-download it.

Oh BTW, I still have about 120GB of free space my of HD.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Cheers

Chuck

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 3:22 PM

Restore OS X using OS X Recovery

Then upgrade to El Capitan.

11 replies

Oct 1, 2015 3:26 PM in response to wlgspotter

If you shut down your Mac and upon booting it back up hold the Command Key and the "R" key at the same time until you are presented with a pop up box. The second choice should be to re-download El Capitan. Select this choice and follow the complete process. You should okay and it should take at least 30 to 45 minutes or perhaps a little more to go through everything.

Oct 1, 2015 4:44 PM in response to WiseJD

Hello, I did the command R during the restart and I did get the pop up window and chose to reinstall os X then I kept on getting an error pop up window: "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again". I'm absolutely stuck and have given up and made an appointment with the Genius Bar for Saturday. Do you have any suggestions to remedy my situation?User uploaded file

Oct 1, 2015 5:02 PM in response to WiseJD

Thanks for the response WiseJD.

I did try as you say, which I believe is effectively accessing the OSX Recovery that Carolyn pointed to in the reply just above yours, however, I can't see an option to re-download El Capitan. The 2nd option is to reinstall OSX - I'm wondering would this re-download El Capitan or Yosemite, which came with my MBP?

Anyway, I'll give it a go later today when I'm home.

Cheers

Chuck

Oct 2, 2015 2:26 PM in response to wlgspotter

Hi everyone:

Ok, I've tried the OSX Recovery as recommended by Carolyn earlier, and then proceeded to install El Capitan aftr that - still same result. Seemed like when the system reboots the El Capitan installer doesn't want to kick in.

I guess my last option would be to try and extract El Capitan to a USB drive and boot it from there to try and install it, unless anyone has any other suggestions that I can try...?

Thsmks.

Cheers

Chuck

Unable to Install El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.