Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outgoing mail server gone under El Capitan

Immediately after installing El Capitan, I am unable to send emails. However, I'm still receiving them. Note the following oddity ... although I once had an email address "drastal@comcast.net" it has been inactive for years. Nonetheless, it appears when I view the "Internet Accounts" tab under "System Preferences". I've asked staff at the Apple Store to resolve this twice before, and no one seems to understand why it's shown there. Yet my drastal@icloud.com account has worked perfectly, until I installed El Cap.

The contents of my Mail Preferences are shown below. Thanks in advance ...

User uploaded file

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 4:02 PM

92 replies

Oct 1, 2015 5:24 PM in response to chiefsinga

The Outgoing Mail Server pulldown list was empty. In my know-nothing attempt to populate the list, I added "iCloud" and selected it. The pulldown list now shows "iCloud (Offline)" and it doesn't work. I then added "p02-imap.mail.me.com" and "p02-map.smtp.me.com" and both are now shown there with "(Offline)" next to them and neither works.

Oct 2, 2015 8:16 AM in response to Drasticbunny

I have same problem-- incoming but no outgoing mail after El Cap update. Talked to Apple support & the rep tried various fixes & gave up & said, "we have a problem here with no current solution." Wonderful. Beta testers were having this problem in August according to past discussions.

They are supposed to call me back today-- (with a fix?)

Oct 2, 2015 8:36 AM in response to Alejandra36

I have the same problem. Since installing El Capitan, I am receiving emails on all my accounts but can't send through any of them, and some show offline, yet they won't let me put them online AND all of them are working both ways from my iPhone.

And I also have popup windows telling me that it can't connect to SMTP.RCN.COM (RCN is my ISP), asks for a PW, and then asks for PWs for 3 of my accounts. I put them in, but nothing changes other than sometimes getting "Unable to verify account name or password." I went to the Genius Bar at a local store, and they suggested something I'm not eager to do, which is to completely get rid of my keychain as one possibility. and start over.

I've thought I'd try to change the info for SMTP in my email accounts in Mail's Preferences, but they don't even show me any place to deal with outgoing settings or SMTP.

Oct 2, 2015 8:44 AM in response to Drasticbunny

Same Experience.

I just added my Accounts again with Mail>Add Account etc. and they and their folder structures appeared as before.

Bit of a pain, but if, as promised, Mail will work better under El Capitan it will be worth the small inconcenience.

I had the same problem with Calendars. Initially all my iCloud calendars had disappeared and had to be added again, but I had not lost any entries.

Finally I cannot get the promised Extensions on Photos to work. I already had compatible extensions like Affinity (purchased through App Store) installed on my Mac, but when I try to access them through Photos edit menu it shows "Not Enabled". I have not fixed this issue yet.

Oct 2, 2015 2:07 PM in response to Drasticbunny

Had the same problem, icloud emails were still coming through, but somehow el capitan deleted outgoing icloud server.

Solved by going to System Preferences > iCloud > disable mail option, wait a second then re-enable it.

Went back to Mail app, hit send on iCloud outgoing email and the outgoing server list popped up.

iCloud was back in the list, select and "always use this server"

Worked for me.

Good luck!

Outgoing mail server gone under El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.