Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to upgrade to

Garageband 10 can't load my GB9 software instruments. I am going to get logic (for many reasons). Is there a version of logic that can open my old songs with their GB9 software instruments? Please make logic recommendations.

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 4:27 PM

1 reply

Oct 1, 2015 5:00 PM in response to JV145

First of all, GarageBand and Logic files are upwards compatible even across different version. So your GB9 file should open fine in GB10.

The Software Instruments that GarageBand is using are basically the same that Logic is using. The only difference is that it has a limited user interface, so you can't access all the parameters of an Instrument.

Your GB9 Song will open just fine in Logic Pro X. Once open, you can see the "GarageBand" Instruments with the full user interface.

Moving up to Logic Pro X is a good move, because it removes virtually all the limitations that are imposed on the GarageBand app. However, be prepared, it is a very "deep" app. Lot's of stuff to learn.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

What to upgrade to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.