Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated to El Capitan now my MacBook Pro keeps freezing up!! Help!!!

everytime I reboot and try to log in once the desktop comes up and programs start to load everything's freezes. I can still move the mouse but you can't click on anything or do anything. Help!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 4:11 PM

10 replies

Oct 2, 2015 8:43 AM in response to Badwolfgurl10

I tried to restart so many times and now I rebooted in recovery mode and I'm reinstalling. I keep getting a frozen desktop and the coloured spinning wheel whenever I try to quit the apps set to open on login.

However I live in Asia and have a slow internet connection... I get this screen.

User uploaded file

SO I suppose I will try to go to bed and see what has happened by the morning. It makes me sick in the stomach when my computer is not working right. I did not have time to back up before I upgraded either. So, lesson learnt.

THis is is the first time I have had an issue with upgrading tho, I am on a 2014 fall MBP.

WIll update ate tomorrow I suppose.

Oct 3, 2015 12:57 AM in response to Badwolfgurl10

I re- installed overnight last night and still the same thing, so I'm restoring from my latest time machine back up. It was a month ago but I think I have almost all the same files except for a few videos I took last week. Let's see how that goes. I just can't be without it for work this coming week.

I think I will wait and see how updates go and maybe wait until I'm back in the uk to upgrade again... Grrr.

Oct 7, 2015 9:15 AM in response to Badwolfgurl10

The only solution I found was to downgrade which isn't really a solution, If you have stuff you can't lose, I would suggest taking it to a Mac store if you have one nearby and see if they can pull stuff off the hard-drive somehow... Lesson to self: always back up before installing new software!

Sorry there's not many other solutions out there, it doesn't seem to have happened to many other people. I'm guessing there are some programs on my computer that it is clashing with... Will try again in a few months once they have an update! Best of luck!

Nov 17, 2015 8:29 AM in response to Badwolfgurl10

I think I've found the solution from a different post, which I tried and it worked for me!

El capitan freeze during install

The only edit is that to boot in safe mode I had to hold the shift down as I rebooted from the time I hear the boot sound and then release when I see the apple logo. While in safe mode I could back up then do all i needed to do and reboot. Since then, I've had no problems touch wood!

Updated to El Capitan now my MacBook Pro keeps freezing up!! Help!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.