Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 9 - I cannot install extensions

Hi,

since the update to Safari 9 and OSX 10.11 I cannot install extension from the extension gallery in Safari anymore. I click on an extension and the extension window opens but there is no button that says "install now" or anything like that. I have attached a screenshot showing the extension page. Is anyone else having the same problem?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 4:53 PM

86 replies

Mar 17, 2017 7:06 AM in response to JohnnyFJohnsson

This was driving me nuts and a particular app developer was of no help. Just kept emailing me back to go to the extension gallery link and install. Yep thanks but no install link. My fix with Avast anti-virus software installed on MacOS Sierra:

I went to Avast > Preferrences > Web Shield > Settings

Click on +

Add apple.com for HTTP (you might not require this one)

Repeat for apple.com for HTTPS

Reload Safari extension link page and now there will be an "install now" link.

Thank you all on this forum for pointing me in this direction.

Oct 2, 2015 6:51 AM in response to Linc Davis

I'm experiencing the same problem as the original poster. I've cleared all website data and uninstalled all my currently extensions. If I go directly to the extensions page (safari-extensions.apple.com), or get there via the "Get Extensions" button, the result is the same. I can see all the extensions, but none of them have install links. In the upper left part of the page is a link stating "Extensions in this gallery run in Safari 9.0 on OS X El Capitan and Yosemite. Learn about OS X El Capitan", which seems to indicate that Apple's site doesn't know I'm running Safari 9.

Oct 2, 2015 10:29 PM in response to jason0x43

Well, that was odd. I chatted with Apple Support for a while and they weren't sure what was going on. Right after my support chat ended, a notification popped up to watch the "Welcome to El Capitan" intro slide show. I thought that might be worth watching because I've seen applications that update their state only after you watch some sort of intro slides or tutorial. The problem with the extension gallery seemed to be that Safari wasn't telling the extension gallery that I was running El Capitan and/or Safari 9, and I thought watching the slide show might flip a flag somewhere and cause my browser to properly identify itself. Sure enough, right after the slide show started, I went back to a tab showing the new extension gallery, refreshed it, and install links popped up.

Oct 5, 2015 9:04 PM in response to JohnnyFJohnsson

I'm having the exact same problem. This only happened to me on my Macbook Air. My iMac's Safari is working just fine. I've tried the ideas stated here by triggering the What's new on El Capitan slideshow but still, the extensions page seems to think I'm not on El Capitan and Safari 9 so there is no "Install now" button. I've even tried reinstalling OS X but I had no luck. Please help!

Oct 6, 2015 11:24 PM in response to JohnnyFJohnsson

I have OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 and Safari 9.0. I'm also having this problem. My thinking was I might have to upgrade to El Capitan to be able to install extensions, but I see others who have already upgraded are having the same issue. I'm a new Macbook user.. not the way I wanted things to start. I have tried to watch the tours of both Yosemite and El Capitan but the "Install now" links are still missing. I have tried going through Safari > Safari Extensions... and Safari > Preferences... > Extensions > Get Extensions and both fail to show the links to install. I have also tried repairing permissions. Any help to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Safari 9 - I cannot install extensions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.