Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my Time Capsule not function?

My Time Capsule seems to have failed. It is four years old, and today it failed without warning. In order to connect my iMac to the Internet, I had to take the Time Capsule out of service. So I now have now wifi for my iPad.

What could be the cause of Time Capsule failure?

Time Capsule-OTHER, Time Capsule failure

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 6:05 PM

4 replies

Oct 3, 2015 6:33 AM in response to amg1957

As a last resort, try a Factory Default Reset on the Time Capsule as follows:

Power off the Time Capsule by pulling the power cord from the back of the unit

Wait a minute

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule first, and keep holding it for an additional 10 seconds while you simultaneously plug the power back into the Time Capsule. (This is not easy, you almost need 3 hands to do this)

Release the reset button after the 10 second hold and allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart

At this point, if all is well, the Time Capsule will display a slow, blinking amber light and it can be set up again.

If the light still remains solid amber, unfortunately this is an indication that the Time Capsule cannot get out of startup mode. When this occurs, usually the hard drive on the Time Capsule has failed, or sometimes it is an indication that there is an internal power supply problem.

In either case, Apple considers the Time Capsule a sealed unit, and for that reason, they do not offer repairs on the product. If the Time Capsule is still in warranty, Apple will replace the device for you, or, if you have AppleCare in effect on one of your Macs, and the Time Capsule is less than 3 years old, Apple will replace the device for you in that case.

If the Time Capsule is not covered, then about all that you can do is plead your case to Apple, either by taking the Time Capsule to an Apple Store in your area, or contacting Apple Support directly. Click on the Contact Us link at the lower right of this web page to get started.

Good luck.

Why does my Time Capsule not function?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.