Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El capitan email issues

I have confirmed that my email issues are not coming from my email provider... I can access my email through their website... works ok.... using Mac mail....I cannot delete or move unwanted emails to trash.... says there is an error when I try to do this.... I have just upgraded to El Capitan..... when the problems started... I have deleted my email account and created a new account..... still same problems.... there was a point which everything seem to work.... then back to the same issues of not being able to delete my emails or move them to the trash... anyone experiencing this problem?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 5:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 2:25 AM

Same thing here, since the first time I used Mail with El Capitan.

Only on Mac, I'm not able to delete the mails or move them to the trash, it says something like "Cannot move the message "X" to the folder "Trash - iCloud"

(don't know if it's exactly the same message in English, I use Mac OS X in Italian)

No problems on iCloud.com and with Mail on my iPhone or on my iPad.

The problem is only with Mail for Mac.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2015 2:25 AM in response to wa4gwb

Same thing here, since the first time I used Mail with El Capitan.

Only on Mac, I'm not able to delete the mails or move them to the trash, it says something like "Cannot move the message "X" to the folder "Trash - iCloud"

(don't know if it's exactly the same message in English, I use Mac OS X in Italian)

No problems on iCloud.com and with Mail on my iPhone or on my iPad.

The problem is only with Mail for Mac.

Oct 6, 2015 3:57 AM in response to wa4gwb

Same problem here. It's incredibly frustrating and is holding up my ability to get work done. I can not dump any messages to the trash. And on the dock it will give me a red number of how many new emails I have, but that's not the same number that shows up when I open the app. Apple - PLEASE FIX this....it's driving me to find another email app!!

Nov 7, 2015 7:56 AM in response to DuffyC

I'm having the same problems with my godaddy.com POP email account.

The techs at godaddy INSIST this problem is with the most recent update/upgrade to El Capitan, but that was weeks ago and my email server stopped retrieving email yesterday at 102PM. Except sporadically. On my Macbook, NOT my desktop.

They have led me through these steps:

In order to setup your email in Mac Mail, please follow the following steps:

1. Mail

2. Add Account

3. Other Mail Account

4. Enter Name, Email Address, Password

5. Click Sign In

6. Applemail will show a message saying “Unable to verify account name and password”. This is normal

7. The window will show a very similar window but will add fields for Account Type and Incoming/Outgoing server.

8. fill in those fields with the settings found at http://emailsetup.secureserver.net then click Sign In to continue setup.

Which I have followed to the letter. Including moving all my email into a temporary folder, deleting the account and starting at the top.

What I get NOW when I run Mail Connection Doctor is: SMTP account connection and login to server succeeded, i CAN and HAVE been SENDING email OUT, but on the POP side I get: user and/or password not recognized.

I'm stumped.

I'll try calling Godaddy tech support ONE MORE TIME and then put in a call to apple. After reading through all these troubles people are having, is Apple actually taking responsibility for this or blaming all the other email providers? I have email. It's on my godaddy account. I can log into my workspace account to access them. My Verizon account is working. Just not my godaddy-linked email.

But nice to know I'm not the only one this is happening to.

Norm

Nov 7, 2015 12:12 PM in response to normbal

Further to my original post, I have found a solution and mine is now working perfectly.

The account I was having trouble with was a btinternet email which I assumed was part of the Yahoo section on the email. When I tried to register it on the yahoo section, it would find my details but then fail to connect.

Instead of using the yahoo, I simply selected the "other" at the bottom of the email provider list and put in my email and password, it found it straight away and I've had no problems since.

Its working faultlessly. Might be worth a try for others with the same problems.

Nov 9, 2015 1:30 PM in response to normbal

I also have GoDaddy email accounts & my POP server quit working last Thursday so I can no longer receive mail on those accounts. I spent 3 hours on the phone with GoDaddy today & ended up no farther ahead. They don't seem to have a clue & just keep blaming Apple for the upgrade to IMAP email. GoDaddy doesn't have any solution except to purchase their premium business email package for $7.99/month. That only works if you are the only one accessing the accounts. All other POP users won't be able to access the accounts once they are migrated over the the IMAP site. If anyone knows of a fix for this problem please!!! post it.

Nov 9, 2015 1:39 PM in response to Carol2611

Carol, the fix that worked for me was this.

1. Mail

2. Preferences

3. Select godaddy account from list at left of popup window.

4. Click on "Advanced."

5. First thing at the top of the list is "Automatically detect and maintain account settings"

IF this is checked, uncheck it, click to "general tab" at top of same window, SAVE your settings, and you should get a flood of email.

IF this is NOT checked, check it, click/etc as above.

THIS worked for me and many others (there or about a half dozen ACTIVE messages on this site dealing with the same issue).

Let us know if it works.

Norm

Feb 9, 2016 3:00 PM in response to wa4gwb

I upgraded to El Capitan this morning and really wish I hadn't. I immediately had problems with Mail, with it crashing when I tried to send via my BT internet account, and although I thought I'd fixed it this afternoon, Mail is now crashing immediately on launch unless I 'un-enable' my BT internet account. I have a business email account which works fine, but I need my BT account for personal emails. I've tried rebuilding mailboxes and unchecking the 'Automatically detect settings' as recommended above, but no luck, Mail still crashes on launch if the BT account is enabled.

If anyone has found a fix for this, please let me know, I really can't face phoning BT or Apple, I've wasted enough time as it is!

Mar 24, 2016 8:27 AM in response to wa4gwb

It is very disappointing to me that Apple has simply conceded the mail business to Exchange.

GoDaddy IMAP and ElCapitan simply do not work together. I have spent hours with both companies and it is apparent GoDaddy wants to move their customers to Microsoft Exchange/365 servers. They even admit that.

I downloaded OSX Server onto a remote mac mini thinking our 14 users could just use that. I called Apple Support and was transferred to Apple Enterprise support and the very first thing the tech told me was that Server APP was not a replace for Exchange and that I should not expect to have IMAP or Exchange quality mail service with Server APP.

So GoDaddy wins and we are moving to Exchange.

I welcome any good alternatives but it seems even Apple has conceded to Exchange and their OSX updates are designed with Exchange in mind.

El capitan email issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.