Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No mobile service after iOS 9.0.2 update

Hi all,

Even with the iOS 9 and 9.0.1 updates, my iPhone 6 (128 GB) was running smoothly. I was after updating to iOS 9.0.2 that a couple of weird things happened:

1. My cellular network has been replaced with "Searching..." and it does not appear in the "Network" field when I go to Settings > General > About. "Carrier Settings" does not even appear in "Settings" either. As a result, I can't use mobile services at all. Troubleshooting that I have done include:

- Removing the SIM card tray and checking for obstructions/physical damage. I even used another validly working SIM card and it still wasn't recognized.

- Following all the steps outlined here: If you can't connect to a cellular network or cellular data - Apple Support. Note that there are no issues with my mobile carrier's network, or my account.

2. Very minor, but when my phone appeared on iTunes, it was only identified as "iPhone" and not by the custom nickname I assigned it (let's say, "My iPhone"). - Very easily fixed on iTunes, but from past experience, I have never had to re-assign my custom iPhone name when I upgrade firmware -- so maybe that relates to another problem with the 9.0.2 update?

Short of doing a factory restore, or waiting for the next update, is there a way to resolve the mobile service problem?

Thanks!

Jay

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 4:08 AM

I have the same issue after downloading the IOS9. Hope someone from Apple would reply to this thread with a fix quickly. I get no service and I tried everything mentioned here and every reset you think of. Help Apple!!!!!

54 replies

Oct 3, 2015 9:33 AM in response to jayallenv

I had this problem, too. I updated to 9.0.2 last night and when I woke up, my phone said "No Service". After doing a hard restart, it said "Searching.." and wouldn't connect.

I tried resetting Network information, hard resets, finally decided to clear the phone and restore from a backup. When I restarted, initially there was "No Service". After I restored from a previous backup, it now shows AT&T, 4 bars and LTE. Software is still 9.0.2.

Not sure if this is a good fix for everyone, but it worked for me (for now).

iPhone 6, 9.0.2, AT&T Cell Service

Oct 3, 2015 6:18 PM in response to Art artfrom canada

I don't think it's a SIM card reader issue. That's what I was told at first. If your iPhone shows no service then the phone is reading your SIM. Call Apple back and let them know your reader is working. Try to reset all settings, and if that does not work, place the iPhone in recovery mode then restore the iPhone and set up as new. If it does not work, Call Apple and let them know it's due to IOS 9. Hope this helps!

Oct 4, 2015 12:50 AM in response to jayallenv

I had the same problem. Managed to speak to someone from apple on their chat facility. It turns out iOS 9.0.2. hadn't downloaded properly on my iPhone 5S. I had to upgrade iTunes on my computer to the latest version, then plug my phone into my computer and carry out the upgrade via iTunes on the computer. It worked! I have a functioning mobile phone again. So worth a try. Good luck everyone!

Oct 5, 2015 2:46 PM in response to jayallenv

I have incurred the same issue since the IOS 9.02 upgrade with phone constantly searching for a network. I have the latest ITunes software downloaded on my laptop however when I connect my iPhone it doesn't recognise it |(iPhone 5s||) - instead it identifies my phone as an iPhone 4 which is my sons one. When I access the phone and go into the software update it says IOS 9.02 and that my software is up to date. Any suggestions ?

Oct 5, 2015 9:30 PM in response to jayallenv

I had the same issue and after trying all kind of resets I got it now working.

I summary what I tried:

1. Turned on and off (normal and with the wake and on/off button), airplane mode, reset networks, etc. In my opinion you can skip these steps since I don't think they made a difference.

2. Performed "Restore Factory Settings" and still didn't work.

3. Then I applied a "Restore from Backup" from iTunes (even though it was a backup with the already malfunctioning 9.0.2 upgrade). After this, the 3G sign appeared again!! I have to say that I am not absolutely sure if the "Restore Factory Settings" is needed but here I am stating what the process I followed and worked.

Oct 6, 2015 12:08 PM in response to cocosinc

Eventually managed to get access to my network. It might not work for you however what I did was delete all the iTunes software from the laptop. You need to do it in the order as shown in the following link (I remember doing this to fix another issue previously)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204313.

I then reinstalled iTunes and when I attached my phone it now recognised my phone in the correct way. After that .... and you may want to try this first if your iTunes recognises your phone....... is go into phone settings > general > scroll down to the bottom and go to reset and select reset all settings. Another one to try although it didn't work for me was to go into reset and select reset network settings.

Good luck !!

Oct 10, 2015 10:17 AM in response to jayallenv

I had the exact same problem after updating to 9.0.2, I either was constantly searching for service or I either had no service. Eventually I was able to get service, it would only last for no more than 10 minutes. So I went to my phone provider (at&t) and they changed my sim card. Nothing changed. I then called apple support, and they advised me to restore my phone completely, which that would re-download 9.0.2. After doing this my phone has been staying connected to my network. I still feel that navigation is still a little rougher than 9.0.1, but I'm sure they will fix that soon enough. When you restore, of course remember to back up via itunes on the computer and icloud (as an extra source) and then be sure to update your itunes to 12.3 or else you wont be able to back up your phone via itunes on your computer. hope everyone can find some resolve and Apple quickly fixes the issue!!!!

No mobile service after iOS 9.0.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.