Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot start iBooks on El Capitan

After upgrading to El Capitan, I cannot start iBooks saying that "Cannot access to Library"

It indicates that the location of Library is "(null)".

There is a button "Reset Libraries", "retry", But I cannot start iBooks.

I appreciated your help, thank you.

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 8:28 PM

14 replies

Oct 2, 2015 1:53 PM in response to kh2004

I have done the following with out any success

Sep 14, 2015 3:20 PM(in response to Tombz)

I'm linking you to the question you asked the day after this one:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/54664

Try the following and stop when iBooks starts working again:

1. From Finder press shift+cmd+G and copy paste in the following:

~/Library/Cookies/com.apple.ibooks.cookies

2. If it takes you to a selected file, delete it, and test iBooks again.
  3. Otherwise, from Finder again, press shift+cmd+G and copy paste in the following:

~/Library/Cookies/Preferences/com.apple.ibooks.plist

4. If it takes you to a selected file, delete it, and test iBooks again.
  5. Otherwise, from Finder again, press shift+cmd+G and copy paste in the following:

~/Library/Containers/

6. Find com.apple.iBooksX and delete it.
  7. Find Containers/com.apple.BKAgentServiceand move this one to the Desktop.
  8. Log out and log back in. The book library will be empty. Rebuild it by downloading your purchases from the iBooks Store and importing any other content you added. You may find the added content in the folder named "com.apple.BKAgentService" that you moved to the Desktop.

Oct 2, 2015 2:21 PM in response to kh2004

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take an action that isn't working the way you expect. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Oct 2, 2015 9:48 PM in response to Linc Davis

Dear Linc

please find attached my log file which appear after trying to open ibooks

03.10.15 06:40:36,536 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUBufferedInputStream is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,536 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUZipArchiveMemoryDataRepresentation is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,536 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUOffsetOutputStream is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,536 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUZipDeflateOutputStream is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,536 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUFileDataRepresentation is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,536 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUZipInflateInputStream is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,536 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUMemoryOutputStream is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,536 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUFileInputStream is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,536 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUMemoryInputStream is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,536 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUZipArchiveFileDataRepresentation is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,537 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUCryptoOutputStream is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,537 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUFileOutputStream is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,537 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUMoveableFileOutputStream is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,537 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUDataRepresentation is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,537 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUCryptoUtils is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,537 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUCryptoInputStream is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,537 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUCryptoKey is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,537 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUZipEntry is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,537 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUCryptor is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,537 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUZipArchive is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,537 iBooks[1549]: objc[1549]: Class SFUZipRecordInputStream is implemented in both /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/TSUtility.framework/Versions/A/TSU tility and /Applications/iBooks.app/Contents/Frameworks/IMCommonCore.framework/Versions/A/ IMCommonCore. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

03.10.15 06:40:36,559 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.iBooks.1549) Path not allowed in target domain: type = pid, path = /Library/Frameworks/iTunesLibrary.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.iT unesLibraryService.xpc error = 147: The specified service did not ship in the requestor's bundle, origin = /Applications/iBooks.app

03.10.15 06:40:36,560 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.iBooks.1549) Path not allowed in target domain: type = pid, path = /Library/Frameworks/iTunesLibrary.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.iT unesLibraryService.xpc error = 147: The specified service did not ship in the requestor's bundle, origin = /Applications/iBooks.app

03.10.15 06:40:36,662 iBooks[1549]: Unsupported configuration. Please update your BookKit.framework.

03.10.15 06:40:36,666 iBooks[1549]: Unsupported configuration. Please update your BookKit.framework.

Oct 10, 2015 7:45 AM in response to kh2004

This possible solution did not work for me. None of the solutions posted so far work.

I should note that they all have this line to remove-

"

~/Library/Cookies/Preferences/com.apple.ibooks.plist"

which doesn't exist on my system - that file exists in the ~/Library/Preferences/ folder, but there is no /Preferences folder inside the /Cookies folder.

Oct 19, 2015 7:45 PM in response to sduck409

The solutions provided above didn't work for me either (I got the same error message), but I found a solution by trial & error.
First I moved the entire folder of "~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService" to desktop and restarted my computer (you can only see the changes/result after restarting the Macbook).
I could then open iBook again, but lost all previous books etc. So what I did next was that I moved parts of the "back-upped" BKAgentService folder to see when I would get the error again and it turned out that the "temporary" folder was the one causing the problem. As long as I left that one out when copying everything else back (and restarting the laptop to refresh), it wouldn't show an error. In this folder I had only one ebook, but I think it was corrupt --> causing the error.

So in your case I suggest you

1) See what happens if you move the whole folder "~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService" to a external HD or Desktop.

2) Restart your computer or laptop (without a complete restart you can't see the changes!)

3) See if you can open iBook again (log-in etc, you will start with an empty library again)

IF this works, you can then continue with Step 4 and 5 to retrieve the back-up/old books you had.

4) Move the whole folder "com.apple.BKAgentService" back under "~/Library/Containers/" where it was, replacing the "new" files that were automatically placed there after the last restart.

5) Take out the folder "~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Temporary" (or the 'corrupt' file in it)

6) Restart your computer/laptop again

In my case this did the trick, hope it helps!

Nov 16, 2015 11:07 AM in response to falcofrank

I recommend this way, it retain all the manual(note,bookmark, last status...) you did.

In simply way:

This could be the file(s) inside "Temporary" cause the matter, file(s) inside the folder is corrupted file(s).

"~/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks/Temporary"

So, you may just try simply remove/delete the file(s) in "Temporary" mentioned above.

cannot start iBooks on El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.