Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos is failing to update library

Updated to El Capitan and tried to open photos - first update went to 100% and then I was told there was an error and that I should reopen the application. I did and photos was stuck on 85% for hours. I ended up restarting my macbook because my mac ran out of battery, so photos was no longer open when it restarted. Opened photos again for the update to go to 100% and fail once more, and I'm stuck on 85% again.

Not really sure what else to do - nothing can be done in photos until its updated.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 7:09 AM

Hello there.

It seems like after upgrading to El Capitan, you are having issues updating your iPhoto Library, even after restarting your system. The following Knowledge Base article provides some guidance on Rebuilding your iPhoto Library, which can help resolve your update issue:

iPhoto 6 and later: Rebuilding the iPhoto library - Apple Support

iPhoto includes a feature that allows you to rebuild the currently selected iPhoto library. Sometimes rebuilding the library may resolve issues such as the library appearing to be unreadable, missing photos, or other issues related to reading the iPhoto library structure.

Important:

You should back up your existing iPhoto Library before using the rebuild feature. A backup allows you to restore the iPhoto Library if anything unexpected happens during the rebuild that prevents the library from rebuilding correctly.

Before performing a rebuild, you should install any iPhoto updates by using Software Update. If a software update resolves your issue, then you don't need to rebuild. It's also a good idea to search Apple's Support Page for your specific iPhoto symptom before doing a rebuild, just in case there is a more specific article or relevant solution.

To rebuild the iPhoto library:

1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select the options you want to use.
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.
    User uploaded file

Use these guidelines to determine which options to choose in the rebuild dialog:

• Select the option(s) to rebuild thumbnails only if the thumbnails appear to be an issue (gray, blank, missing or mismatched).
  • Select the option to recover orphaned photos if photos appear to be missing from the iPhoto library. iPhoto will examine the library folder for any photos that are not currently being displayed in Albums or Events in the iPhoto source list.
  • In iPhoto '08 and later, select the option to examine and repair iPhoto Library file permissions if it appears that you cannot edit certain photos or if the iPhoto library will not open. See "iPhoto 6 can't open due to permissions alert" for more information.
  • In iPhoto '08, select the option to "Rebuild the iPhoto Library database" if iPhoto unexpectedly quits when opened or does not get past loading photos.
  • In iPhoto '09, select the option to "Rebuild the iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup" if iPhoto unexpectedly quits when opened or does not get past loading photos. This option is similar to the option to "Rebuild the iPhoto Library database" in iPhoto '08, except that it has the added ability to regenerate a database from an automatically backed up library database. Also, after rebuilding your library database using this option, your original database files can be found in the "Before Restore" folder inside the library package.
  • In iPhoto '11, select the option to "Repair the iPhoto Library Database" to check the iPhoto Library database for inconsistencies and repair them, if necessary. iPhoto '11 also includes the option to "Rebuild the iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup," which performs the same functions as it does in iPhoto '09, but should only be attempted if the "Repair the iPhoto Library Database" option does not help.

Note: Any "recovered" photos may not appear in their original album in the source list. However, they should appear in the newly created "Recovered Photos" album in the source list.

Learn more

iPhoto 9.3 and later introduces a new Library First Aid dialog in place of the previous rebuild options.

User uploaded file

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2015 7:09 AM in response to no longer amused

Hello there.

It seems like after upgrading to El Capitan, you are having issues updating your iPhoto Library, even after restarting your system. The following Knowledge Base article provides some guidance on Rebuilding your iPhoto Library, which can help resolve your update issue:

iPhoto 6 and later: Rebuilding the iPhoto library - Apple Support

iPhoto includes a feature that allows you to rebuild the currently selected iPhoto library. Sometimes rebuilding the library may resolve issues such as the library appearing to be unreadable, missing photos, or other issues related to reading the iPhoto library structure.

Important:

You should back up your existing iPhoto Library before using the rebuild feature. A backup allows you to restore the iPhoto Library if anything unexpected happens during the rebuild that prevents the library from rebuilding correctly.

Before performing a rebuild, you should install any iPhoto updates by using Software Update. If a software update resolves your issue, then you don't need to rebuild. It's also a good idea to search Apple's Support Page for your specific iPhoto symptom before doing a rebuild, just in case there is a more specific article or relevant solution.

To rebuild the iPhoto library:

1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select the options you want to use.
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.
    User uploaded file

Use these guidelines to determine which options to choose in the rebuild dialog:

• Select the option(s) to rebuild thumbnails only if the thumbnails appear to be an issue (gray, blank, missing or mismatched).
  • Select the option to recover orphaned photos if photos appear to be missing from the iPhoto library. iPhoto will examine the library folder for any photos that are not currently being displayed in Albums or Events in the iPhoto source list.
  • In iPhoto '08 and later, select the option to examine and repair iPhoto Library file permissions if it appears that you cannot edit certain photos or if the iPhoto library will not open. See "iPhoto 6 can't open due to permissions alert" for more information.
  • In iPhoto '08, select the option to "Rebuild the iPhoto Library database" if iPhoto unexpectedly quits when opened or does not get past loading photos.
  • In iPhoto '09, select the option to "Rebuild the iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup" if iPhoto unexpectedly quits when opened or does not get past loading photos. This option is similar to the option to "Rebuild the iPhoto Library database" in iPhoto '08, except that it has the added ability to regenerate a database from an automatically backed up library database. Also, after rebuilding your library database using this option, your original database files can be found in the "Before Restore" folder inside the library package.
  • In iPhoto '11, select the option to "Repair the iPhoto Library Database" to check the iPhoto Library database for inconsistencies and repair them, if necessary. iPhoto '11 also includes the option to "Rebuild the iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup," which performs the same functions as it does in iPhoto '09, but should only be attempted if the "Repair the iPhoto Library Database" option does not help.

Note: Any "recovered" photos may not appear in their original album in the source list. However, they should appear in the newly created "Recovered Photos" album in the source list.

Learn more

iPhoto 9.3 and later introduces a new Library First Aid dialog in place of the previous rebuild options.

User uploaded file

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards.

Jul 26, 2016 6:03 PM in response to pedro d

I am having the same problem. I have upgraded to El Capitan and I am experiencing an error in updating my Photos library. The above instructions of opening photos with command-option keys held down did not work. When I launch Photos with command-option keys down it just goes automatically back into "Updating Library" mode which has failed to complete in three previous attempts. The above instructions refers to repairing an iPhoto library, but I had previously upgraded from iPhoto to Photos - so not sure if those instructions do not apply to Photos. Any other suggestions on how to solve?

Photos is failing to update library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.