Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview Sidebar

After the El Capitan update the friggin sidebar keeps coming up on pdf files I've saved and then look at using Preview. I can hide the sidebar after I open a document, but I can't figure out a way to change preferences to set the default for the sidebar NOT to come up. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 8:02 PM

18 replies

Oct 6, 2015 1:49 PM in response to leroydouglas

leroydouglas wrote:

No preference, but you can set the precedent by

open a PDF in Preview and use command shift \

to show the tool bar and the left icon dropdown>>Hide Sidebar

AFAIK, that is new behavior in El Capitan.

Whenever I open a PDF for the first time, I get the sidebar. Then I use (command/shift/1) or choose View>Hide Sidebar, or as you describe choose Hide Sidebar from the tool menu to eliminate the sidebar.

Upon subsequent openings of that PDF document the preference to hide the sidebar sticks, but all new PDF's require the Hide Sidebar to be reinvoked for the new PDF.

User uploaded file

Oct 16, 2015 4:45 PM in response to Mark LeBar

This is *really* annoying when one needs to repeatedly open multiple pdf documents for reference. It seems like the software people have simply lost their way.

I checked for a ~/Library/ plist, and found this, but it doesn't look helpful --

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>NSWindow Frame NSMovePanelAutosaveName</key>

<string>156 871 334 120 0 0 1680 1028 </string>

</dict>

</plist>

Nov 14, 2015 7:38 PM in response to user2200044

To user2200044 -

You, if not a genius, are at least a savior. I was really getting annoyed with the sidebar always opening, especially when opening multiple pdf docs. Closing an open sidebar left an overly large document, so simply closing the sidebar was not enough. I can now open a pdf the way I want to ... without the sidebar and in normal size. Thank you.

Preview Sidebar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.