Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some process using high CPU % after El Capitan update

After OS X from Yosemite to El Capitan, My macbook is very hot.

When i check it with CPU process I found some process with high used CPU%.

1. VTEncoderXPCService (100% over CPU used)

2. VTDecoderXPCService (70% over CPU used)

3. com.apple.photos.VideoConversionService (100% over CPU used)

Could you help me?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 9:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 9:54 PM

After 10 min, this is has gone (there are using CPU 0%)

But it happened 2 times after turn on mac book(yesterday and today)

I think it will happen continually 😟

12 replies

Oct 3, 2015 3:03 PM in response to MH Kim

Hi

I had the same issue after upgrading my 2009 MacBook Pro. In my case it seems to have been connected to the Photos app downloading and uploading my library in the background. Once this process finished, my cpu usage returned to normal and the vtencoder and photos processes you mentioned disappeared ( I didn't have the decoder process show up)

Oct 5, 2015 8:31 AM in response to MH Kim

Thought that I was the only one to notice the change in temp I rely love apple.... I mean the fact that they don't charge money for the operating systems they release makes me a proud supporter.

But ever since I updated to El Capitan I have noticed my Macbook pro Model (15-inch, Mid 2012: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB) Has been running hotter than usual (my baby has a fever!!!)

so I dont have the answer to fix the problem to El Capitan's over heating issue other than to wait till apple sort's this out....But in the meantime I have Found using SMC helps me keep tabs on my temps wile also keeping the CPU temps down by running the fans on high you can get this program for free at (http://smcfancontrol.en.softonic.com/mac) or just google (Smcfancontrol) to find reviews on this program.

hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Chaddy:)

Nov 25, 2015 5:39 PM in response to MH Kim

I am using OS X El Capitan with the latest update pack and saw a lot of this overheating and high CPU % usage wth my Macbook Pro 13" early 2011 (16GB RAM, 250GB SSD + 500GB Fusion Drive). I use SMC FAN CONTROL and tried other techniques described in the forums. What solve my problem? I created another user, copied all my data from the old user to the new one, change permissions and ownership accordingly and everything is smooth as ever. Go figure! 🙂

Hope this helps you guys! Cheers.

Some process using high CPU % after El Capitan update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.