Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 9: "Clear history, not cookies"

On this page for OS X 10.11, http://www.apple.com/osx/all-features/#safari, it says one of the new features of Safari is the ability to clear the history without removing related cookies. This was a complaint of many for Safari 8, when clearing history became an all-or-none process. However, choosing the "Clear History..." item under the History menu still gives a warning about the removal of related cookies, without an option to spare the cookies. Can anyone find how to invoke this "new feature"?

OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 9:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 1:13 AM

What I do is to show History and from there I select the whole day and type Delete. HTH.

7 replies

Oct 4, 2015 7:02 PM in response to CMYS

Ok, I found the answer posted on another site. If you hold down the "option" key before clicking any of the three places where you can "Clear History..." (the Safari menu, the History menu, or the Show History window), it becomes "Clear History and Keep Website Data..." and then claims it will only clear history without touching cookies and other data. I assume this is new to Safari 9.

Jan 25, 2016 10:53 PM in response to David Yeh

The problem is about clearing history ,not cookies on Safari 9. If you’re doubtful of someone snooping around your iPhone/iPad’s Safari app, you better clear stuff out. While Safari as such doesn’t store sensitive data, you might have checked a few tabs somewhere where sensitive logins are stored. Also, clearing history occasionally helps in making Safari load faster. Therefore, clearing history on Safari is necessary. I think that it is not difficult to clear history on Safari 9. First you should enter Safari browser. Then tap "Setting" > "Safari" > "Clear History and Website Data". Finally make sure it clear with clicking "Clear".

Safari 9: "Clear history, not cookies"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.