Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the new Apple TV's cross-platform search feature display content from Amazon Prime?

I've read that Apple TV supports Amazon Prime with airplay (as opposed to having an Amazon Prime app on the Apple TV itself). Does this mean the new universal search feature wont be able to pull content from the Amazon app on my iPhone?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.2, null

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 12:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2015 5:57 PM

We won't really know the answer to technical questions about the new ATV until it's released and people can try it out. However as it doesn't have Amazon Prime itself it seems unlikely that it would be able to search it.

8 replies

Oct 4, 2015 5:57 PM in response to Alexander Edward

Yesterday Amazon announced that it was banning the Apple TV and the Google Chromecast from its online store later this month. The consensus seems to be that Amazon wants to promote its own streaming devices and services since Apple and Google are direct competitors in the content streaming business. So it would not be far fetched to think Amazon might remove all support for Apple devices including AirPlay. I seriously doubt you will be able to search Amazon Prime content on the new Apple TV. Amazon is now playing hardball.

Oct 26, 2015 1:50 AM in response to Alexander Edward

I wanted an answer to this too, as a buying deal-breaker. If Apple doesn't support Amazon Prime Videos, it'll be a seriously black mark in my book that they prioritise a profit-hungry turf war over their customer experience. I'm a long-time Apple user for over 20 years, but this would REALLY **** me off with them. I'll wait and see.

Oct 26, 2015 5:04 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Perhaps because Apple wins when it is customer-centric and sticks to its core mission of making the customer experience as simple as possible. Remember "it just works"? Well it won't work, if they want to slug it out in a war of attrition with a commercial competitor in a way that directly hurts the customer (undermining their core strength and mission/values). Your message stinks of commercial cynicism, and is plain wrong. It would be just as possible for them both to offer each other's services and let the market decide on merit. There are countless examples where commercial competitors work this way. It's really sad if Apple is going down this mad and bad mis-route. Augurs very badly for the company I've supported for so many years.

Will the new Apple TV's cross-platform search feature display content from Amazon Prime?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.