Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud backup still not working after iOS 9.0.2

Updated iPhone 6 to iOS 9.0.2. The iPhone still won't backup automatically and a manual backup failed to complete too. The iPhone was plugged in and connected to the wifi all night long but it was still trying to backup after 8 hours when I woke up. The next backup size 114 MB and the storage available is 4.8 GB. I've been facing this problem since I updated to iOS 9. My iPod backs up just fine. I've tried deleting old backups and logging out of iCloud. The only thing left is resetting the iPhone which im not too keen on doing. Any suggestions anyone. I thought Apple addressed this issue in the current update but it seems like it hasn't at least in my case.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 9:55 PM

63 replies

Oct 2, 2015 11:46 AM in response to KevinBrad

I have (had) the same problem. After upgrading to 9.02 the iCloud backup on my iPhone 6 was still not working. I had the last backup from the day I upgraded to iOS9. I tried several things from the internet

- turning iCloud backup off and on

- logging out and in with my apple ID

- resetting the Wifi setting (strange but I tried)

- reboot the device

- Sync it via iTunes (Windows 10) - Local backup worked but not to the iCloud

- BTW iPad works fine over the air

- tried to delete the iPhone backup from the cloud via iOS settings (said it was not possible to delete)

and finally: deleted the iPhone backup via MacBook settings/iCloud. Turned Backup on the iPhone off and on (it said there was a backup there from *before* the update to iOS 9, OK ...). Backup runs for about 10 minutes and .... finishes with a success.

I have no idea if this will work for everyone or for the future or what ever, but it fixed my problem for the moment (keeping my fingers crossed) ....

Oct 2, 2015 12:08 PM in response to mlxl

I tried what worked for you but there seems to be another problem. My next back up size is now a massive 4.4 GB. It is due to the fact that my phone has decided to backup data from every single app. I had turned off backup for most of my apps and was backing up important data only. Then my backup size was a mere 100 something MB. I have tried to turn off backup for unwanted apps but now that isn't happening either. Every time I try to turn it off i get a pop up saying "unable to turn off at the moment. Try again later". It's starting to get really tiresome this backup business. I hope Apple takes note of this and actually fix it and not just claim to do so.

Oct 2, 2015 12:17 PM in response to KevinBrad

Hmm I haven't paid attention to the size. Now that you mention it I remember that before all this the backup was about 1,5-1,7 GB now it has 1 GB. I remember removing iMovie from the backup while trying to fix it. iMovie is back and i have no idea why the backup now is smaller. Makes me wonder if this backup is really working. I will keep watching the whole thing.

Apple really should pay more attention to iCloud problems and backups. Easy backup is very important for me...

Oct 8, 2015 10:20 AM in response to KevinBrad

Same here I'm on 9.0.2 and still have this issue!!! and I have a mac to old to run itunes 12 so it won't sync with my iphone 6, since the last update😠

I've been through several loser senior techs who are clueless, and down to the genius bar, big fail, they told me I have only 2 options, delete the ONLY BACKUP I HAVE OF MY iPhone to see if that fixes this issue, and told there is a chance that won't fix it still OR to just wait for the next iOS update 😟

(no iTunes here) The only back up I have is in icloud and they want me to get rid of it! ***

In the meantime a senior tech has escalated this up to engineering, though I am still waiting for that feedback...sick of it.

Well I've thought of a 3rd option, since I have applecare, am going down to the genius bar to insist they replace my phone, again..sigh not only that but I'm gonna demand they make sure my icloud back up works before I leave. I don't know what else to do.

Apple tech support used to be so good..well it's **** lately, the tech agents are as clueless as I am, some even more clueless than I am, and I'm a novice! 😮

I've done everything, reset all, restore from new, restore from backup when it worked, check with my ISP and so on. icloud backup won't work manual or auto-overnight!!

Oct 8, 2015 10:17 AM in response to pgrue

True...they didn't fix it..though your lucky you have itunes that works with your iphone model. Mine no longer does, cause I have a mid 2007 mac mini that runs itunes versions only older than itunes 12. I have 11.4 for mac. So I may as well toss the computer out the window!

I can't sync it or back it up to my computer anymore since I updated past ios 😟9.0

iCloud backup still not working after iOS 9.0.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.