Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New El Capitan will not boot MacBook Pro 2012

I Downloaded the new OS the Mac goes to load and the bar does not progress. I am stuck. Disk utility says 0 space available.

mac book pro/2009, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Oct 1, 2015 10:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 6:09 PM

I have had same problem. I went thru CMD + R to enter recovery mode, re-installed OS X 10.11, restarted and, after successful restart, deleted all unnecessary items that are automatically starting at start-up (thru System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Open).

11 replies

Oct 1, 2015 11:22 PM in response to isotop235

I had a similar issue.

After downloading and installing El Cap on MacBook Air 13 inch early 2015 I received two requests for login. The first request has a fuzzy image of Yosemite valley in the background. Second login is on a grey screen. The progress bar stops without completion.

No change for 8 hours.

Solution

Shut down.

Restart holding down CMD R. Release Keys when you see the apple logo.

Login when requested.

Desktop should load. If it does not, shut down and repeat.

When desktop loads, GO/LIBRARY and drag folders; CACHES, STARTUP ASSISTANTS, STARTUP DAEMONS and COOKIES to trash - you may not have all these files, but move the ones you have.

(Hold down the option key to reveal the LIBRARY)

MACINTOSH HD/LIBRARY and drag folders; CACHES, STARTUP ASSISTANTS, STARTUP DAEMONS and COOKIES to trash. Same advice as above.

Shutdown.

Restart holding down CMD OPTION P R. Continue holding down the CMD OPTION P R keys until you hear a second 'bong'. Release keys

Login when requested.

Your desktop should now load.

Empty trash.

Oct 1, 2015 11:59 PM in response to Oddmartini

Hello,

I've the same problem. But CMD+R won't work.

If I start web recovery with Option+CMD+R it works. I'm able to reinstall El Capitan and System works as expected.

No data deleted, all configuration is valid.

BUT

If I shutdown the system, I've the same problem again.

At next boot it shows Apple Logo and empty progress bar.

Now it's even worse.

WebRecovery only shows reinstallation of Lion!

Oct 2, 2015 6:46 AM in response to Oddmartini

I deleted all StartupItems. Additionally I have done a deinstallation of Parallels. Everything of old VirtualBox installation went to trash.

Unfortunately this does not help.

Starting in verbose mode gives me the hint ... SyncMate!

With this hint I found these articles:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/14042

https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/52762#52762

I deleted everything mentioned in this article - with Terminal provided after starting recovery mode.

• sudo rm -Rf /Library/Extensions/*VBox*
  • sudo rm -Rf /Library/Application\ Support/VirtualBox/*VBox*
  • sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions/*Eltima*

I can't remember, that I've ever installed this tool. Maybe this was somewhere years ago.

Oct 2, 2015 6:13 PM in response to isotop235

When this issue started I did not have access to my external hard drive. I ended up with numerous re-boots...cmd+R and cmd/alt+r at a "no" ghostbusters logo. I thought I finally fried my internal drive. I finally hooked up my EHD and recovered. I lost all my avi and mp4 files though. I reverted back to OS Lion and then after some tidying up reinstalled El Capitan. So far so good. Thanks for all the advice.

Oct 4, 2015 12:25 PM in response to AppleExperte

I had the same problem with my MacMini, Newly installed El Capitan over Yosemite, would not boot. I tried Cmd R to reinstall El Capitan, that worked and after 5 hours the system booted into El Capitan, but next day, after power on, same problem occured, system would not boot at all. So again after Cmd R, 5 hours later I was able to boot again, then I deleted all startup items, after restart, again the Mini would not boot. then I tried Cmd S after start and found

kernel panic: file "com.eltima.syncmate". So again for the 3rd time, Cmd R and after the system has booted again after 5 hours, I have deleted all "eltima"

files on my harddisk using the "Find any File" program, and after that the MacMini booted errorfree with El Capitan installed !! So the problem Maker was the "SyncMate" program, I will forward this information to the developer ASAP, he should inform all registered customers.

Sorry if my English is not so perfect.

----------------------------------

The same solution is also described in here earlier from AppleExperte, found that lateron after I fixed the problem

Starting in verbose mode gives me the hint ... SyncMate!

With this hint I found these articles:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/14042

https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/52762#52762

I deleted everything mentioned in this article - with Terminal provided after starting recovery mode.

• sudo rm -Rf /Library/Extensions/*VBox*
  • sudo rm -Rf /Library/Application\ Support/VirtualBox/*VBox*
  • sudo rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions/*Eltima*

I can't remember, that I've ever installed this tool. Maybe this was somewhere years ago.

New El Capitan will not boot MacBook Pro 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.