Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos with aspect ratio 2:3 are zoomed in and cropped

The photos from my camera have an aspect ratio of 2:3, so in full view they would be displayed on iPad with borders on top and bottom. This is fine with me.

But:

Since iOS9 they are all displayed full screen, and the parts that are not visible are cropped.

To see the full picture I need to zoom in first, then zoom out. For each and every picture.

This behavior is new since iOS9, on iPad3 and iPad Air2.

How can I make the iPad show all pictures without cropping and zooming in?

iPad Air, iOS 9.0.2, 128G

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 1:25 AM

7 replies

Jul 6, 2017 6:49 AM in response to Oliver Bryk

Well, it could have been worse: they _could_ have anamorphically zoomed the image (fit to screen with stretching), regardless of the original aspect ratio. I guess that there were more people complaining about black bars than people like us, complaining about not seeing the whole picture. I always liked the original MacBook Pro a lot: its screen was natively 3:2.

Nov 7, 2015 6:58 AM in response to jiiwee

I am on iOS 9.1 and have the same complaint with Apple's thoughtless change of the 2:3 aspect ratio, a "feature" apparently created by someone who is not a photographer. The resulting involuntary cropping is more pronounced in landscape orientation than in portrait orientation. The OS does not reformat images that I either originally shot in 1:1 or subsequently cropped square.

If Apple does not fix this problem we may have to create a digital 16:9 mat for our 3:2 images...

Photos with aspect ratio 2:3 are zoomed in and cropped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.