Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't italicize text in iOS 9 notes on iPhone

I can't italize text in Notes after upgrading to iOS 9. I can bold and underline any text but not italicized. i don't know if it's the same on an iPad but it just won't work in my iPhone 6 Plus. I've rebooted the phone, close and relaunch the app, tried text in a new note or edit text in an existing note. I just can't itlicize any text. No problem with bold, underline, bullet and all othe other fancy stuff. It's weird. I've looked into Settings for Notes and nothing there. Anyone has this problem and a solution?

Thanks!

Chris

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 5:28 AM

16 replies

Oct 3, 2015 6:30 PM in response to Christopher Yip

I tried turning off and on Notes but that didn't solve the problem. I tried another iPhone 6 Plus that has also been upgraded to iOS 9 and found that it has the same problem. I suspect it's a bug that affects iPhone but not iPad. Would appreciate if iPhone 6 or 6 Plus users could try to italicize text in Notes and let me know if you face the same problem. If it's a bug, then at least I can stop tearing my hair out.

To recap, the issue I'm facing is that I can bold and underline text in Notes on iPhone running iOS 9, but am unable to italicize them.

Thanks!

Oct 3, 2015 6:45 PM in response to Christopher Yip

I have tried it on an iPhone 6, and it also worked there. So it seems that the problem is only with iPhone 6 Plus. It may not be a problem with iPhone 6S or 6S Plus but it is for iPhone 6 Plus. Can those who have iPhone 6 Plus confirm my suspicion? I've also tried changing the display between Zoomed and Standard to try my luck but it made no difference either.

I hope someone has a solution.

Thanks!

Oct 3, 2015 7:00 PM in response to sberman

All have been upgraded. My MacBook is running El Capitan; my iOS devices are running 9.0.2; and all the Notes app across the devices are all upgraded.

I'm also struggling with another issue after the upgrade. My third generation iPad does not have the same number of notes as the other devices. This is frustrating. All my other devices have 164 notes but my old iPad has only 161. I've tried logging out of iCloud and logging in again; tried turning off Notes and turning it on again but each time, the iPad will just get stuck at 161 notes. Don't know what is going on with the missing 3 notes. It also won't download any new notes I create in the other devices. It seems to have some kind of notes or word limit?

Oct 4, 2015 5:03 AM in response to sberman

Yup. Have done that. That's how I discovered the discrepancy. It's not just a case of 3 missing notes. The number of notes per folder is also out of whack. It shows that they are not synced fully with iCloud. I left the iPad running for well over 6 hours and it just won't download all the notes or sync the notes count correctly with that in iCloud. It's like it's downloading from another iCloud version.User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Oct 30, 2015 11:05 AM in response to Christopher Yip

I've reinstalled the iOS9 software on my iPhone 6 Plus using the DFU recovery method but unfortunately, I still cannot italicize text in Notes. I've exhausted all options on my own. I hope somebody has a solution to this problem. I'm going to Apple authorised repair centre but from my experience, they probably won't know what to do either. Please help!

Jul 25, 2016 5:11 PM in response to Christopher Yip

I found something new on this issue. Not being able to italize text in Notes seems to have something to do with iCloud and text size.

Try this. Go to Settings - Display & Brightness - Text Size. Drag the slider to 6 notches or more. Go to Notes and create a new note in the iCloud account. Try italicising the text and you will find that it doesn't work. Now go back to the text size setting and bring the slider down to 5 notches or less. Go back to the note you just created and try italicising the text. Voila, it works now.

I have confirmed this phenomenon with two other iPhones. And it also seems that the text setting does not affect notes created on the phone account, just notes in the iCloud account.

I've reported this as a bug to Apple.

Aug 11, 2016 10:19 PM in response to SugarAvenue

When you said this worked for you too, did you mean you had the same problem of not being able to italcize the text but then was able to do so following the steps I outlined?

On the iPad and iPhone sync, I never knew why but it's working now. I didn't re-format the iPad or anything like that, I just signed out of iCloud, left it for a few days, the one day when I signed back in, the notes just came back. I did notice, however, that besides all the notes in the iCloud, there were leftover or orphaned notes from the time when the iPad had problem syncing. I deleted these orphaned notes because they weren't syncing to iCloud even though they appeared under the iCloud account in the iPad.

The whole ordeal marred my experience with iOS devices. I'm not convinced yet to switch to Android. I just wish that Apple do something about these issues.

Can't italicize text in iOS 9 notes on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.