Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Full Screen AdBlock ad?

This morning I received a full screen pop-up, purportedly from "Michael" at AdBlock. It had several hyperlinks. I did not click on anything and immediately closed Safari. I do have AdBlock on my mac. I highly doubt AdBlock would contact subscribers by pop-up. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 6:24 AM

10 replies

Oct 2, 2015 6:47 AM in response to Lourufmom

There's no need for a third party ad blocker on your Mac as long as you have Block pop-up windows selected in Safari > Preferences > Security.

That way you don't have to be concerned about pop ups purportedly from AdBlock.

You can contact Adblock to have them verify the full screen pop up > Welcome - AdBlock Support

If Safari freezes after you see that pop up, force quit Safari using the Command + Option + Esc keyboard shortcut.

Then relaunch Safari while holding down the Shift key.

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab then click: Remove All Website Data

Oct 2, 2015 6:43 AM in response to Lourufmom

Considering one of Adblock's job descriptions is blocking pop-up ads, gut instinct tells me it's a scam. Open Safari in Safe Mode by holding down the Shift Key, which will prevent any previous windows or tabs from reopening. From there, you can delete all your cookies and website data, them uninstall your extensions. Open Safari normally and reinstall Adblock from the developer's website, and hopefully you'll have no further issues.

Oct 2, 2015 7:11 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi, Carolyn -

Thanks for your response. I have always had "Block pop-up ads" in Safari preferences checked but find it really limited. The local newspaper, to which I have a subscription, defeats it with constant pop-up ads. The paid subscription does not allow you to opt out of ads (I've complained to no avail). AdBlock works for this and several other news sites that intersperse pop-ups with picture slide shows. I went to the website for AdBlock and there was no mention of an ad campaign so I'm pretty sure it was a phishing or malware attempt. I was able to click out of it and close Safari. There was no freeze. I ran Adware Medic by Malwarebytes and there was no adware detected. I checked my cookies and extensions and they were all familiar. I was just wondering if anyone else had this experience.

Oct 4, 2015 8:35 AM in response to Lourufmom

Actually, it was legitimate. The creator of AdBlock sold the product and AdBlock now participates in an "Acceptable Ads" program. Details are available in several articles online. I've linked to a few for you.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/02/adblock-chrome-extension-sold/

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/10/02/trust-us-we-block-ads/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/2/9441319/adblock-acquisition-unknown-buyer

I have to figure out a new AdBlocker as well.

Oct 5, 2015 2:07 PM in response to SteveNYC

Steve -

That's shocking! I had read that AdBlock Plus had gone to Acceptable Ads. They have a way that you can disable the default setting to disallow all ads. I have regular AdBlock and their website says nothing. I guess this is related to a lawsuit by a group of advertisers who believe that ad blockers interfere with their right to have ads seen by website users. Thanks for letting me know.

I tried to give you credit for solving my problem but I got no response when I clicked the button. Maybe it'll show up later.

Oct 5, 2015 2:29 PM in response to Lourufmom

Happy to help.

I went with Adblock Plus for now. No one seems to know who the buyer of AdBlock was, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the owners of Adblock Plus. I plan on seeing how much I like it. I've allowed the acceptable ads feature on AdBlock Plus for now. I don't begrudge a website advertising. I am receiving a lot of benefit (content) for free and the bills have to be paid somehow by these websites. That said, I find the intrusive ads to be a bit much and so that's what AdBlock Plus will be there for.

I hope you find a product you like.

Oct 5, 2015 3:08 PM in response to SteveNYC

I've looked into this a little further and it is related to the lawsuit. Ad Block and AdBlock Plus were sued by a couple of German companies who think that ad blocking is illegal interference with trade. I don't think that suit has been resolved but it appears that both sites have created a work-around that puts the responsibility on the site viewer instead of AdBlock and AdBlock Plus themselves. If you click on the little shield icon on your toolbar, you get "options" which allows you to modify the default yourself. This works for both AdBlock and AdBlock Plus. It seems like a way for them to avoid liability for blocking the ad while still providing a means for the viewer to block them.

Full Screen AdBlock ad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.