Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan Not Allowing Mac To Sleep

Is anyone having an issue similar to this? My Mac is not sleeping when I close the lid. When I closed the lid last night I was at 40 % and woke up today at 5% and a warm back. Same thing yesterday.

Anyone have a fix for this or at least in the same boat?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 7:14 AM

22 replies

Oct 2, 2015 8:16 AM in response to zcalabrese22

How I did this is to leave the lid closed for 5 min, then checked the belly of the device if it was "aluminum cold" or little bit warmer than that -- you know, if you leave an aluminum plate on the table that gets cold real quick as it dissipate heat really well.

For double check I have run Console utility (just type Console on the Spotlight Search) and there are loads of system generated log messages with second precise time stamps. When it is sleeping there should be no messages for that time being...

Oct 2, 2015 8:23 AM in response to trudnai

Interesting, I'll try this.

One thing I did notice when looking at this log is this:

- Last night I stopped using my mac at around 8 PM and there were log messages all the way up to 11:45 PM (so 3:45 of being awake) and then there were no log messages until I started using it again this morning. Might have went to real sleep when it reached 5%, not sure though.

Oct 2, 2015 8:52 AM in response to zcalabrese22

Could be, yes. Worse case MacOS will dump your entire memory to disk and turns off the computer, then when you plug it in and turn it on it loads everything back from the disk. That takes longer but at least your work is safe.

Anyways, let me know if it was the WiFi for you too or something else that prevents your Mac to sleep. Btw you may can see repetative messages in that log from 8pm to 11:45pm and that can be also an indicator what was going on.

Oct 3, 2015 1:52 PM in response to trudnai

Have the same issue, pulled up Console and there is a "wake" sequence every 2 minutes. It never has a reason but the camera, bluetooth, and wifi seem to ping it awake based on the whole list. (See pic for the Wake reason: ?) ... anyways, worst bug ever. The worst.

I did turn off Wifi before this and it seemed to work. So until they get a patch based on this thread and another, it seems that turning off wifi will do the trick.

Has anyone tried to force sleep from the apple menu?

User uploaded file

Oct 9, 2015 7:53 PM in response to fierlessj316

I'm seeing similar results as you, with same core issues. In my case, it seems my battery is draining quicker than what you guys have stated, with my battery going 55% down to 7% in just two hours. Also, not sure if anyone else noticed this, but I had to cycle my wifi when I opened the lid before I was able to get any internet.

I'll attach my full log in case anyone wants to look at 2 hours of the problem via console logs – https://www.dropbox.com/s/5je5ciyw9eaeskk/Should%20be%20Sleeping.log?dl=0

Has anyone tried to force sleep from the apple menu?

I did try this, and it appears to work for at least 3 minutes, but I didn't test it much longer than that. I will take into advisement the workaround of turning off Wifi, for now.

System Overview:

OS X El Capitan

Version 10.11

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Nov 16, 2015 10:13 PM in response to trudnai

Hi trudnai,

Thanks for the suggestion of looking at the WiFi. I had the same 'No Sleep' issue but after seeing your post and then reading this article:

OS X El Capitan: If your Mac won’t go to or stay in sleep

I discovered that it was internet sharing (from WiFi) that was preventing the computer from sleeping. There was no actual sharing going on but the box was ticked and when I disabled it, the Mac slept as it should even with WiFI on.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers

Nov 26, 2015 7:49 PM in response to zcalabrese22

Solved my sleep problem! After trying all the suggestions others have suggested I simply resigned to the fact I would most likely have to live without the sleep function. Then I downloaded Onyx 3.1.2 for El Capitan (it's free) and under Maintenance –> Rebuilding executed the command to rebuild the ‘LaunchServices’, ‘dyld’s shared cache’ and ‘XPC cache’. Rebooted and now sleep works again!

Nov 30, 2015 4:52 PM in response to knorven

I spoke too soon. True, my iMac now goes to sleep as it should but when it wakes from sleep it has lost track of printers and anything else attached to it, so I have to restart for the computer to find them again.

I miss the good times when Steve Jobs was in charge. Things seemed to work better and crappy software seemed less likely to leave the Apple developers. El Capitan to me has been like Windows Vista. I regret the day I moved away from Snow Leopard which just worked for me.

El Capitan Not Allowing Mac To Sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.