Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan updated and now FCPx is very slow!

I did the update to the OS on my iMac 5k and now FCPx is running really slow. It's a 4 ghz with 24 gigs of ram. It was pretty snappy before the update.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Thanks

Martin

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), El Capitan

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 7:43 AM

31 replies

Oct 5, 2015 3:47 PM in response to truthrider

I am also having major FCPX issues since updating.

FCPX with El Capitan is now slow, fails to launch, and appears to have lost the contents of an event without the ability to reconnect. Opened the library package contents and thankfully media is still there but it shows no clips in the event, and no project (that I had been working on) in the event. Very slow to load and hanging regularly. I always wait to upgrade but didn't this time (insert head hitting desk here, STUPID, STUPID, I WAS SO STUPID).

I have reset the preferences to launch (that seemed to work to get FCPX to launch) but now it just unexpectedly quit while trying to reopen an existing library.

I really hope Apple gets an update out shortly 'cause I'm in probleville big time. Got a project that needs to get out to a client.

Mid 2011 27" IMac 3.4 GHz Core i7, 16 GB Ram.

Oct 5, 2015 5:07 PM in response to truthrider

On my MBP 2008 (late), right after updating to v10.11 the Activity Monitor showed a lot of reading and writing for quite awhile afterward. So, if one tried to use FCPX at that time it is logical that it would be slow.

However, so far it is working fine for me. Haven’t checked all the editing options though, but based on what I’ve done it looks good.

Now, if only there could be a way to bring the Sony files in without having to go through Play Memories…….

Oct 5, 2015 6:32 PM in response to truthrider

Actually, this is a reply to Tom ‘cuz I can’t get the @#$%!^ browser thing to work properly for some reason.

any way, the “graph” is from the Activity Monitor and I’ll attach a screen shot of the area, but not the actual graph because that is over and done with. I was watching it after the Install presumedly completed but obviously there was something, CPU stuff, still working hard for some time afterward so I just waited until it quit.

User uploaded file

As for the video camera, it’s a Sony FDR-AX100 running v 3.0. It’s the HD *.mts files that I’m trying to bring directly into FCPX and bypass the PlayMemories application. The app wants to process them and I’d like to just stick with the Sony files to minimize any processing. However, I don’t want to hijack this thread and will keep working this issue. If I can’t find a solution I’ll come back and start a thread on it.

One thing I’m VERY happy about with this 10.11 update is that my Mail app works just fine now. I was experiencing a lot of crashes and had to do a lot of Force Quits. After the update it works smooth as glass - like it always should have, so that’s a plus. Didn’t want to have to do a major re-install.

The update did, however, mess up the Preferences for my other browser so it wouldn’t load anything. I was able to troubleshoot it and now it also works fine.

So far, so good. At least “X” is working okay (fingers crossed).

Oct 11, 2015 12:15 AM in response to truthrider

Another bug I noticed after updating to 10.11: When trying to import from 128 GB iPhone the import takes forever (30 minutes) usually eating up all the memory and compressing it to disk until the disk runs out of space. I wasn't able to complete the import once with Late 2013 MacPro (6 cores/16 gb ram). I also uninstalled the few 3rd party plugins from Pixel Film I had installed. I'm still not able to complete the import.

As already mentioned the application hangs a lot when trying to edit. As I can't import the media I need for editing I'm stuck at this point.

Really astounding that Apple misses so basic bugs with it's own software when updating the OS. Aren't any basic regression tests performed? Also with a beta phase these issues should have been identified and resolved until the mass rollout....

Oct 11, 2015 1:47 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Import from card went well before I tried importing from iPhone. I imported from card using a USB 3.0 card reader. Didn't try hooking the camera directly. Import from iPhone is taking ages and eventually fails eating all memory resources dumping to disk until it's full (i only have 256 sad and the mac crashes when around 60gb memory are allocated to FCP which corresponds to the free disk space)

Oct 11, 2015 2:30 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

late 2013 MacPro 3.5 GHz 6 Core 16 GB memory | iPhone 6 plus 128 gb | 256 GB SSD (**** autocorrect 😁 ) free space 76 GB | FCP X libraries stored on Pegasus 6 15TB with 2 TB free disc space

Import directly from phone using FCP X import function with optimised media creation option ticked. Tried 5-6 times to import leaving system running for hours, import always failed by eating up all memory and dumping it to disk until system hangs. Importing other media (Sony A7 MTS files) from card using card reader worked fine.

Oct 11, 2015 5:19 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

each time I attempt an import from the iPhone Activity Monitor indicates that FCPX is gradually taking up to 60 GB of memory. As I "only" have 16 GB RAM I assume the application is dumping this memory on the disk until the SSD is full. Then the whole system hangs as FCPX can't swap any more memory on the disk.

Not sure what you are referring to with "If you have the application set up correctly the application does not use any system space". I have a plain vanilla FCPX installation that run fine until I upgraded to 10.11 two days ago, since then FCPX runs sluggish and the import from the iPhone is not working at all anymore. I'm no programmer, but isn't the huge amount of memory taken up by the application a memory leak?

Oct 11, 2015 6:27 AM in response to MacCheap

Can you do us a favor and post screenshots? It's very unclear what you're talking about. Where is this 60 GB of space being consumed? When importing from an iPhone 6+, memory pressure never goes out of green, less than half way. RAM usage for the app is under 1.5 GB. If you are getting something wildly different from that you might have a problem that's exacerbated by the new OS, but this is not the performance that's at all normal. You should consider taking the system to a service technician.

El Capitan updated and now FCPx is very slow!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.