Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock using 100% CPU and lot of VM after El Capitan update

MBP early 2011, upgraded to 10.11 El Capitan from Yosemite.

Since the update Dock is using 100% CPU and great amount of Virtual Memory, can reach 40gb in 1 hour and growing.

These steps tried so far:

1) deleted ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Dock.plist

2) deleted ALL the files in ~/Library/Preferences

3) removed ALL the files in ~/Library/LaunchAgents

5) deleted files in /library/Application Support/Dock

6) removed parallels, vmware, virtualbox

7) reinstalled 10.11

8) created new user with admin privileges: no problem for this user

9) disabled time machine

10) disabled spotlight

Restarted many times between these steps.

Force quitting the Dock stops the CPU and Memory usage for a minute, then it go increasing again.

Using the command

sudo opensnoop -n Dock

I get a list of files processed by dock, always the same files (mostly apps in the /applications folder) and it stops at /System/Library/Fonts/SFNSDisplay-Medium.otf

Don't know what to do next.. I would really like to keep my user account..

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11), MBP 2011

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 1:27 PM

Try doing a Dock restart using the following Terminal command:

killall Dock

Log out/in and test. If that doesn’t work, you need to look in your user Library/Applications Support/Dock for the .db. Use the Finder “Go To Folder” command. Enter ~/Library/Applications Support/Dock. Move the .db to your desktop.

Then try a dock reset.

Applications/Utilities/Terminal enter the command

killall Dock

Log out/in test. If it works okay, delete the .db from the desktop.

If the Dock is the same, return the .db to where you got them from, overwriting the newer ones.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2015 1:27 PM in response to ubittibu

Try doing a Dock restart using the following Terminal command:

killall Dock

Log out/in and test. If that doesn’t work, you need to look in your user Library/Applications Support/Dock for the .db. Use the Finder “Go To Folder” command. Enter ~/Library/Applications Support/Dock. Move the .db to your desktop.

Then try a dock reset.

Applications/Utilities/Terminal enter the command

killall Dock

Log out/in test. If it works okay, delete the .db from the desktop.

If the Dock is the same, return the .db to where you got them from, overwriting the newer ones.

Oct 2, 2015 2:02 PM in response to Eric Root

Did 'killall Dock' in terminal many times and deleted the only file in ~/Library/Applications Support/Dock

which was desktoppicture.db

verified permissions also

-rw-r--r--

owner is me

no success...

It's crazy.. nothing ever happened so complicated to solve in osx.

Since two days dock is using 100% CPU and Virtual memory usage is growing with no limits.. can reach 80GB if I leave it untouched.

I must force quit dock again and again to use the system.

Apparently is a user related problem because I created another user and it doesn't have this issue.

Oct 2, 2015 3:18 PM in response to ubittibu

One thing I noticed running the command

sudo opensnoop -n Dock

is that at every quit and restart, the Dock tries to access a list of files and many of them are missing, some are old downloads.

As if it would try to find files in an outdated index.

I already rebuilt the spotlight index with sudo mdutil -i on /

I don't know where Docks takes this files list from..

😕

Oct 5, 2015 1:23 AM in response to ubittibu

I think I have the same but unfortunately I have not been able to find a solution. The problem is that Dock doesn't respond anymore, I can't use command-tab anymore to switch applications and I can't use my trackpad to move from 1 space to another.

This is what I have analyzed so far:

1. I have 3 accounts and only 1 account (without admit rights) shows this Dock behaviour (eating CPU and memory until it grows to over 70GB virtual memory and then crashes ... starting all over again)
  2. I can login with 2 accounts concurrently and see 2 different Dock processes in Activity Monitor: one offending and one running perfectly normal (one 100% CPU with lots of VM and one showing 68 MB VM and <1% CPU)
  3. I have removed all my login items and the deamons and agents particular to the offending account (using Lingon). Same result.
  4. I have also used 'Safe Boot' and that didn't make a difference (I was surprised by this!), This means the problem is with Apple software as I haven't started any of my own software yet?
  5. I also deleted my Dock prefs, killed Dock many times (via Activity Monitor). I also had numerous restarts with no improvement ...

All my applications are up-to-date (checked with Macupdate Desktop).

This is what EtreCheck shows:

Oct 3, 2015, 11:47:05 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Dock_2015-10-03-234705_[redacted].cpu_resource. diag [Click for details]

and then the details show:

Date/Time: 2015-10-03 23:45:11 +0200

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11 (Build 15A284)

Architecture: x86_64

Report Version: 19

Command: Dock

Path: /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock

Version: 1.8 (1617)

Build Version: 19

Project Name: Dock

Source Version: 1617000000000000

Parent: launchd [1]

PID: 396

Event: cpu usage (microstackshots only)

Thread: 0xd57 (81% cpu over 112 seconds)

Duration: 112.00s

Steps: 110

Hardware model: MacPro6,1

Active cpus: 8

Oct 4, 2015 10:59 AM in response to forappie

I didn't know EtreCheck, so I gave it a try, just for telling you my system info, but it made a good scan and look what sorted out:

System Launch Agents: (What does this mean?)

[running] com.apple.Dock.plist - Invalid signature!

Good.. maybe a step closer to solution.. Or just EtreCheck is not trustable for El Capitan yet?

Now, somebody knows how to get Apple signature for dock .plist??

Oct 5, 2015 9:35 AM in response to ubittibu

I have the same issue (Dock uses 100% in Activity Monitor, Split Screen/Mission control freezes, and Command+Tab not working). I have found however that if I wait for 5-10 minutes after a reboot, the dock calms down, Mission Control works, and Command+Tab starts working again. It is lame that I can't start using El Cap right away but at least it works after a while.

MacBook Pro Mid 2012

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Oct 6, 2015 12:36 PM in response to ubittibu

I did it!

one of these files was broken:

/private/var/folders/gh/... /0/com.apple.dock.launchpad/db/db-wal

/private/var/folders/gh/.../0/com.apple.dock.launchpad/db/db

/private/var/folders/gh/..../0/com.apple.dock.launchpad/db/db-shm

(I omitted the part after ../gh/.. because it's a series of numbers different from user to user. These are cache files, so the folder could be some different in your mac)

before I was trying these terminal commands with no success:

sudo opensnoop -n Dock

sudo fs_usage | grep "Dock"

The good one is this:

sudo lsof -c '/Dock$/'

This shows you the files used, and cache's files were very suspect.. when i opened the folder they were unmodified since 2014 .. so deleted those and bingo..

Credit to this guy for the terminal command, he used to solve a similar issue:

http://www.tequilafish.com/2014/11/13/spotlight-hung-on-os-x-yosemite-with-100-c pu-usage/

Dock using 100% CPU and lot of VM after El Capitan update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.