Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 asking for my passcode after 48 hours?

Why is my iPhone 6 running iOS 9.0.2 asking for my passcode after 48 hours? And it asks this when it is only 8 or 9 hours?

For example: I goto bed and wake up in the morning (8 hours) and says I need my passcode after 48 hours?

Now the real kicker is it does this sometime and not all the time?

Help!

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 7:28 AM

16 replies

Oct 2, 2015 11:53 AM in response to ywambobby

Hi ywambobby,

This is a security safeguard of Touch ID. It can't be changed. From About Touch ID security on iPhone and iPad - Apple Support:

To configure Touch ID, you must first set up a passcode. Touch ID is designed to minimize the input of your passcode; but your passcode will be needed for additional security validation:

• After restarting your device
  • When more than 48 hours have elapsed from the last time you unlocked your device
  • To enter the Touch ID & Passcode setting

Oct 7, 2015 5:32 AM in response to ZikzakCorp

The thing is, that there is no 48hr period when iPhone/iPad is not without use or without being unlocked for that long. After 48 has passed this pops up regardless of whether or not you have been on your device. I use my personal iPhone at work. I use my iPad at home every day. There is never a 48hr time period when either is not in use and that has not been accessed with passcode or itouch. Wish there was a way to opt out of the 48 hr passcode re-entry.

Oct 7, 2015 5:45 AM in response to ZikzakCorp

ZikzakCorp wrote:

When more than 48 hours have elapsed from the last time you unlocked your device

That's not the way it seems to behave. At the very least, it sounds like that's poorly worded.

I got prompted this morning and it's been nowhere near 48 hours since I unlocked the phone last. I believe what it's doing is prompting for the passcode if it's been 48 hours since the device was unlocked using the passcode.

Nov 5, 2015 5:26 AM in response to KiltedTim

I hope this is not the case.

I have had this problem every now and then on my 5s and I cannot figure out a trend. Happened a few times on 8.x and some times on 9.x, and also this morning. I NEVER, EVER.....EVER go 48 hours without waking my phone.

This MUST either be fixed (if it is in fact a bug and not just poor wording on Apple's part), or you must give users the option to defeat that.

Major PITA to me....

Nov 12, 2015 5:34 AM in response to ywambobby

It's part of Apple's security of the iPhone (see the link below) What it doesn't fully explain is if you use your touch ID exclusively to open your phone every 48 hours it will ask for your pass code. If you Use touch id and but occasionally type your code in you may not ever see the message.

About Touch ID security on iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

Nov 12, 2015 6:02 AM in response to kentfromst.albert

I think that makes the whole thing less secure.

First, fingerprint is more secure than a simple passcode for sure.

And many people like myself apply a complex password once using TouchID since it is so infrequently used. But if I have to start using the passcode more frequently as a result of my habits, then it makes me want to go back to a more simple passcode (6 digits, for instance).

Thus, overall, less secure.....

But I digress.

Nov 12, 2015 6:43 AM in response to Hkrivanek19

An Idiot eh! I don't recall mentioning anything about a glitch! The setting you speak of is how quickly your phone requires a password or fingerprint after you lock the screen. The Problem, mentioned here has nothing to do with that. Perhaps you should re read the post before commenting. I would hate for you to look like a ... well you get the point. Once again if you use ONLY the finger print scanner to unlock your phone in 48 Hours it will ask you to unlock with your passcode. It is not a glitch or a feature you can change. See the link below

About Touch ID security on iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

Nov 14, 2015 5:28 AM in response to ywambobby

THis just happened on my phone again last night. I'm wondering if either Apple or my carrier is pushing changes to the phone without notification.

Alternatively, my carrier recommends rebooting my iPhone on a regular basis. I had to do that with an Android phone, but I've never had to do it with my iPhone 'cause I never have any problems with it. So, I'm wondering if my carrier is somehow forcing a reboot after some time.

Whatever the cause, it's very disconcerting!

iPhone 6 asking for my passcode after 48 hours?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.