Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't open spreadsheet after updating to el capitan

I have just updated to El Capitan and use iCloud to store my Numbers documents. Since updating one saved spreadsheet states I need to update numbers to open it but I gave the latest version 3.5.3 Any ideas, I've tried copying to my mac and still won't open, tried using the web app in iCloud but nothing wants to open tis Numbers document.

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 8:02 AM

7 replies

Nov 3, 2015 4:59 PM in response to Bigwindy

I have also tried various ways to open my spreadsheets from my laptop to my iMac. I am running El Capitan on both machines. I have exported the spreadsheets. I can open them in icloud. I have tried saving them from iCloud. I have tried downloading a copy from iCloud. I have tried dropping the documents from my MacBook pro to my iMac in AirDrop. I cannot get the number program to open the file. These are the errror messages I'm getting when I try to open either spreadsheet.

User uploaded file

I updated my version of numbers from the App Store and this is the version that I'm running

User uploaded file

Nov 9, 2015 1:00 PM in response to SaltSeaShark

If it's only documents from iCloud that you can't open (i.e., you have no problems opening documents not in iCloud) then you might double-check that your iCloud is working properly with Numbers on your Mac, making sure that Numbers.app is checked in System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive Options... . After making sure it is checked and iCloud Drive is checked, you could sign out of iCloud, restart your Mac, and sign back in again to iCloud and give it some time to sync.

SG

Oct 11, 2016 7:37 PM in response to nicholefrommccall

Nichole,

Your problem is that you are trying to open a document that was last saved with Numbers 3 or iCloud (which is also newer) using Number 2. The iWork '09 & earlier apps have an index.xml file that the newer versions don't. You will need to open them in the newer version & save/export them as iWork '09 or Excel to be able to open them in Numbers 2.

Also, although not related to your problem, you should update your Numbers 2 to version 2.3. I'm surprised it is working at all in El Capitan. You can download the standalone updater from this page.

can't open spreadsheet after updating to el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.