Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will this subwoofer work with my 2013 iMac???

Hi,

I just bought a new 2.7 GHz 21.5" iMac (late 2013). I have an old subwoofer that was hooked up to my receiver for watching TV. Can I connect this subwoofer to my iMac via the 1/8" jack on the back of the computer directly (no receiver) instead? Just want to be sure before I do anything.

Thanks.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11), null

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 7:58 AM

7 replies

Oct 2, 2015 8:15 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Good point. I forgot to mention I also have some small (non-active) speakers w/ speaker wire as well that I could plug into the subwoofer. I am pretty sure which adapter I should get with regards to the splitter (please see pic). Does the subwoofer serve the same purpose as a receiver...to power the speakers...because I was going to pick up some nice non-active speakers to accompany the subwoofer as well.

Thanks.

User uploaded file

Oct 2, 2015 8:22 AM in response to cauchy

That lead will allow you to connect from the headphone output to the subwoofer input. The subwoofer shows an output for high level speakers, but I'm not familiar with the model so I can't say for certain that it will power speakers. Normally subwoofers don't do this, but the presence of those outputs suggests it might. You would have either to try it out or ask the manufacturers.

Oct 2, 2015 8:37 AM in response to cauchy

The subwoofer has its own inbuilt power unit - you can plug it directly into mains electricity. So if you do that and plug it to your Mac it will work - as a subwoofer. As I say, I can't predict whether if you connect a couple of ordinary speakers to it they will work. In order for that to happen it would have to contain amplifiers for those speakers.

My guess it that it won't work. I suspect you are intended to connect an amplifier's speaker output to the high-level input on the subwoofer, and then it will pass the signal on to ordinary speakers while providing its own low-frequency output. As do many of these devices it provide alternative inputs - what I've just described for an ordinary stereo set up, with the line level input for home cinema receivers which have a dedicated subwoofer output (5.1 cinema soundtracks have a subwoofer track and output which contains only the very low frequencies, so that for example the bass component of explosions isn't sent to the main speakers but only to the subwoofer).

I should connect it up and give it a try. You won't do any harm (though make sure you start with very quiet sounds so as not to risk damage to the other speakers, and don't plug the audio leads in and out when the system is powered). The worst case is that you simply won't get any sound out of the other speakers.

Will this subwoofer work with my 2013 iMac???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.