Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The text box is hidden by a grey thing that has 0:00. what is it and how do delete it?

The text box is hidden by a grey thing that has 0:00. what is it and how do delete it?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 8:24 AM

20 replies

Oct 5, 2015 6:35 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I'm using an iPhone 4s. My phone is still on iOS 8xx and works fine. My wife's is on the latest (9.0.1) and has the same problem. Resetting the phone takes away the grey blob, but lifting it to her ear activates the "raise to speak" feature that creates the 0:00 bubble again. No option in messages to remove the voice text feature, no way to disable the lift to speak feature (that I've found) in this OS version. We do not use iMessage, SMS only. Tried turning off Siri, no luck. Next step is to roll back, but that's a pain. Fortunately I think our latest backup on her phone was still in the 8xx iOS.

Update 10/05/15 Just updated OS to 9.0.2 - same problem. Every fix that seems to make the problem go away (restart, reset, add subject line, remove subject line, update OS, etc.) is only temporary. As soon as the phone is lifted (to the ear) with the message app open the voice box returns again to obscure the text entry field. Need a way to disable "lift to speak" feature somehow. (Yes, have also disabled Siri).

Oct 5, 2015 6:43 AM in response to brucefromgurnee

brucefromgurnee wrote:

No option in messages to remove the voice text feature, no way to disable the lift to speak feature (that I've found) in this OS version. We do not use iMessage, SMS only.

Tap Settings, then Messages.

Scroll down to the bottom and turn off Raise to Listen under Audio Messages. And if you don't use iMessage turn it off.

User uploaded file

Oct 5, 2015 9:13 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks for your effort Lawrence, but it's really not there. The screen shot I posted earlier is my complete "messages" page in "settings." There is no section named AUDIO MESSAGES below the "filter unknown senders" item. It's as if somehow the OS hasn't detected that the phones can do audio messages and therefore doesn't offer the category with options to turn the features on and off. Same in two different 4s phones, one on 8.4.1 and one on 9.0.2. Got me stumped. Keep hoping in the recent flurry of updates a solution would quietly pop up but not yet. Will probably have to roll back to 8.4.1 or else never raise the phone with the message app open.

Oct 5, 2015 1:32 PM in response to MissPriss1317

Fascinating. This might work - I don't use iMessage, but I turned it back on to see if the settings options would change. Lo and behold the "raise to listen" option appeared along with other audio and video options as soon as iMessage authenticated my Apple ID. I've turned off "raise to listen" and then turned off iMessage and I see that the setting "holds" (when I turn iMessage back on the feature is still turned off). Fingers crossed that this will fix our problem. I'm probably in a small subset of message users that does not use iMessage so I can see how this problem might only present itself to a few of us.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.