Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't find SMTP Log in Server 5.0.4

I'm trying to diagnose a send-mail problem, and I'm pretty sure I was easily able to view the log showing connect requests and results, etc., but now, under Server 5.0.4 (Yosemite 10.10.5) I can't locate it. Has it been removed from the interface?

Troy

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 8:35 AM

14 replies

Oct 6, 2015 10:12 AM in response to jepping

Jepping,

Thank you for the reply. I'm still having trouble.

I followed /var/log/mail.log (which is actually /private/var/log/mail.log since /var is an alias) and that log file is empty.

Here is a screen shot in the Server app of the Logs panel, with the filter pop-up activated. Note that there is no SMTP log in the Mail category. Am I simply looking in the wrong place? The Mail Server Log and Mail Server Error Log have no SMTP information included.User uploaded file

Oct 7, 2015 4:59 AM in response to jepping

I'm also having a problem with 5.0.4 after upgrading to El Capitan. No SMTP logs. I'm getting a "Postfix mail not running" with a "not owned by _postfix in the guid_device_maps.plist" from /var/log.mail.log. I'm looking at my Service Data storage, at the moment. It looks like there is a fault in the install/upgrade for Server 5 post install of ElCapitan. My Mail is still running, but just no logging.

Oct 7, 2015 7:13 AM in response to Troy Meyers

Just checked with 2 servers, both of them contain the smtp log in the server.app.

With one server I dragged the server.app to the trash and waited for the message stating that services have been stopped.

I downloaded a fresh server.app from the AppStore and opened it when downloaded.

Then I run the setup once more and everything came back up. This server had a calendar issue, which was resolved by these steps.

You might want to run the same steps, this might trigger the server.app to show and use mail.log as it should.

Goodluck

Jeffrey

Oct 7, 2015 10:02 AM in response to jepping

Jeffrey, Mr Campbell,

I've had success. Instead of just trashing Server and reinstalling, I first trashed Server (and waited for the Services Discontinued message) and then I trashed the folder Config of the path /Library/Server/Mail/Config and emptied the trash, then I re-downloaded Server and reinstaller, relaunched, went through the small setup process. I had to manually turn ON Mail Service. But now not only does the SMTP Log show, but some others too that I didn't know were missing. Here is the screen shot.

Troy

User uploaded file

Nov 4, 2015 9:58 AM in response to Troy Meyers

If you experienced this issue, you should confirm that new traffic is actually logging when the SMTP Log option becomes available from the Server app. I have this issue happening too. (OS X Version 10.11.1, Server Version 5.0.15) The SMTP logging basically just stops working. I talked to 4 Apple Senior Advisors with a remote connection. As they explained, the SMTP drop-down log option in Server is only available if the /private/var/log/mail.log has information in it. In other words, the SMTP log will not be present from the Server app if mail.log is empty. So basically what is happening is the SMTP log is probably archived (in my case, to files name mail.log.0.gz, mail.log.1.gz, etc.) & leaving the actual mail.log file empty - and in my case, SMTP is not logging any activity ongoing at all, other than preliminary notices due to shutting the service on/off. I've reported more findings to Apple & they haven't responded. Their business support is utterly worthless - my advice to everyone is RUN away from deploying Apple servers for anything beyond file sharing roles.

Can't find SMTP Log in Server 5.0.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.