Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to write to external drive after installing el capitan

I am unable to write to external drive after installing el capitan. It only gives me the option of read

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2015 9:36 AM

This typically means that the drive is formatted as NTFS, in which case you need to update the software which previously gave Mac OS X the ability to write to that format.

In the event that this occurs for a FAT32 or exFAT volume, either the volume's directory structure is damaged, or it's locked in hardware, or the drive has sensed that it's about to fail.

(134290)

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2015 9:36 AM in response to Stanfromaz

This typically means that the drive is formatted as NTFS, in which case you need to update the software which previously gave Mac OS X the ability to write to that format.

In the event that this occurs for a FAT32 or exFAT volume, either the volume's directory structure is damaged, or it's locked in hardware, or the drive has sensed that it's about to fail.

(134290)

Oct 4, 2015 9:10 AM in response to Stanfromaz

I came across this web page and I did this to my microSD card with extFAT

(To make a USB thumb drive or other disk to use with Windows, you may have to pick Master Boot Record as the scheme and ExFAT for cross-platform compatibility.)

now it is readable for cross platforms

http://www.macworld.com/article/2987201/operating-systems/hands-on-with-disk-uti lity-in-el-capitan-tool-for-storage-devi…

Dec 25, 2015 9:31 PM in response to Stanfromaz

SSame problem and the paragon link making the Mac work with ntfssystem worked perfectly back in business. Just download this install, follow restart instructions and your read only will return to read and write. Thank god!!! http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/item/ntfs-driver-for-mac-os-maste r-dl/

good luck, it worked perfectly at solving exact same issue you have

unable to write to external drive after installing el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.